How To Wash A Baby Mourning Dove

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by Savannah Hayley, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Savannah Hayley

Savannah Hayley Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2014
    Hi, I have a fledging mourning dove that I got a week ago. For the first couple days I was feeding her out of a baby bottle with a cross cut in the nipple so she could stick her beak in and drink. This proved to be a very messy way to feed her(the food dripped down her chest). I did my best to clean the food off her chest with a damp paper towel but I couldn't get all of it off. The food ended up drying on her feathers and it looks very uncomfortable. So, I was wondering if I should give her a warm bath in the sink(no soap) or not?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Aww she's so cute! You can give her a bath. How old is she? If she's old enough then you may just have to put a container of water in her cage and she'll bathe in it by herself.

3. Savannah Hayley

Savannah Hayley Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2014
    I'm not sure how old she is but on her neck there are some black feathers coming in. Idk if that could help pin point how old she is.

4. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    I'd just try and put a shallow water dish in her cage and see what happens.

5. paramount

paramount Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2014
    West Coast
    It looks to be about three and half weeks old. At this age, I would recommend against giving it a bath, as it is pretty easy for them to still get a chill at this age. Once he/she is eating on its own (about two weeks from now), you can use warm water and a gentle dish soap, making sure to rinse the plumage thoroughly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by