How to wash a chickens head.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by FatherRoo, Feb 17, 2014.

1. FatherRoo

FatherRoo Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2013
    I'm pretty sure someones had this.problem, and someone told me to.make a thread about this here, so, yeah.

My white crested black.polish hen went from having a white fluffy afro to a green, clumped and guny one. I can't eliminate the source because she's already gotten sick once from being out in the cold, and she isn't entirely old enough to go.outside yet. She lets me clean her feet no problem because she has a foot problem and she gets hydro therapy for her feet. But if I try to clean her head, she freaks. So whats a good way of cleaning her afro without her feeaking out?

2. dickhorstman

dickhorstman Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Dec 8, 2009
    burgettstown,pa
    Prevention is easier than correction. You can cut most of the crest. You can tape or tie the crest in a pony tail. You should water them with a chick waterer,not allowing them to get the whole crest wet.

3. FatherRoo

FatherRoo Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2013
    The only way to prevent it would be to remove the grating, and I can't do that really. So i'll try the other suggestions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by