How to wean ducks off food/water at night

lizzyGSR

Songster
9 Years
Mar 24, 2012
Kansas
I have read that ducks don't need food and water at night after they are about 8 weeks of age. My ducks are 9, almost 10, weeks old. Their duck house is nearly ready for them, and when they "graduate" to their duck house, I don't want them to have food and water in it because I use OSB on the duck house and I'm afraid it won't last as long if they have water in it. So, I need to know how to wean my ducks off their food and water and night. They free-range during the day and have access to their kiddie pool all day long.

I'm interested to see what comments come up here. I currently put a filled waterer and fill the feed half way in the coop at night. I would love to stop doing this but when I asked on a different board if I could stop feeding and watering at night I about got my head bit off like I was suggesting some cruel and unusualy punishment.

This is going to me soon. We have a one room duck house and having to put water and food in there is SUCH a mess. My oldest ducks are 6 weeks old and the babies will be almost 4 weeks old when they join them. All that water and food and poop really is a fly fest. And the summer temps will be here soon. I imagine I will have to keep some water in there anyway until it gets cool in the PM or that coop is going to feel like 90 degrees...I'd be thirsty. lol

I'm really not sure but maybe you could feed them before putting them up for the night. I usually just leave food for my ducks out all the time. I changed their food to Purina flock raiser and omg my Peking duck just loves it she finishes it off as soon as you put it in her bowl. She also free range during the day, but now she goes back to the pen during the day to eat. I am going to have to do something or she won't be able to waddle she will be so big. I was thinking I would give her feed to her when I put her in her pen at night.

I have read that ducks don't need food and water at night after they are about 8 weeks of age. My ducks are 9, almost 10, weeks old. Their duck house is nearly ready for them, and when they "graduate" to their duck house, I don't want them to have food and water in it because I use OSB on the duck house and I'm afraid it won't last as long if they have water in it. So, I need to know how to wean my ducks off their food and water and night. They free-range during the day and have access to their kiddie pool all day long.
My duckling is 4 weeks and just took out the food and water from their house. he/she free ranges with mama during the day so when it is getting dusky they have their last bit of feed and water and go inside, doing fine with it.

Back
Top Bottom