How to wire a homemade incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jjchick, May 6, 2009.

1. jjchick

jjchick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2009
    Quebec,Canada
    I have decided to make myself a homemade incubator. I tried to find the post by miss prissy with a diagram to show me how to hook up the wiring with no luck. I am still undecided wether I will use a hot water thermostat or a incubator wafer. Any help on wiring both ways would be greatly appreciated.

2. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:If you do not have a basic knowledge of electricity and how the electric current flows, contrary to some "advice" on this board I do not recommend to do it.

Playing with electricity without proper background is dangerous, and may cause personal injury, death and/or property damage.

I've seen many faulty electric diagrams on this board, if executed they may have caused a tripped circuit in the best case (or worse).

I would never give anybody advise how to wire a 120V circuit.

If you are not 101% sure, consult a licenced electrician.

There is some people on this board who can not grasp how to plug
    an electric timer into the wall socket, (used to control lights, appliances etc) yet they are giving others "advice" how to wire water heater thermostats, wafers, etc.

The bottom line is"

I just do not want anybody to get hurt if you do not know what are you doing.

3. jjchick

jjchick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2009
    Quebec,Canada
    I didn't intend on doing the wiring myself. My husband will be doing it. He is not into chickens and has not spent hours on the web doing research. Last year he completely wired our barn and a few years before that he did our garage. Both are still standing so I think I can get him to do the incubator. Just wanted a bit of help so he can understand the basic concept of it.

4. Dirt Road

Dirt Road Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Southern Idaho
    If your husband wired the barn and the garage, he won't have any trouble figuring out the wiring for the thermostats. If you are using a fan,(forced air) the fan should run constantly, with the thermostat only controlling the heat source. The water heater thermostats seem to be questionable but some are perfectly satisfied with them. There are several threads on this forum about the pros and cons of different thermostats, you just have to sift through them and suit yourself. Both of the therm. you mentioned are wired "in line", but follow any instructions that come with them. Do not buy a used one.

Jim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by