How to worm free rangers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by thefishery, Jul 16, 2010.

1. thefishery

thefishery Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I need to worm my flock. They've not been wormed forever and I suspect one of my hens has gape worm. Would it be best to close them up in the run and how long should I keep them in closed?

I also have heard some sneezing while eating. Is that due to a possible gape worm infection?

2. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Here is your bump - - -

If you are using the ivemectin pur on medicine then the application would not require penning them.

If you use a wormer that is mixed in their water, then you might need to pen them in order to gaurantee that everbody consumes the rx.

Other than administering the meds - - - I don't know if there are any other reasons to consider penning them.

Let's see what others suggest [​IMG]

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    The sneezing could be dust particles from their feed getting in their nostrils while eating. If you suspect gapeworm, catch the chicken, get it's mouth open, using a Q-tip, very gently stick it down 1 inch and gently swab the throat , gently pull it out . If you see red in color "Y' shaped worm(s)....you'll have your answer and treat with ivermectin pour on like math ace stated. If the Q-tip is clear and you've never wormed, I recommend using wazine17 first....2 weeks later use ivermectin pour or valbazen or safeguard....your choice.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  4. thefishery

Oct 19, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Quote:Thank you so much. I did not know about the Q-tip. We'll do that today. My next question is (and I'm sure I can google the answer) will the wazine not work for gape worm? I've got some of that on hand and planned on treating everyone. So should I wait for treating everyone if I need to get ivermectin for the one hen, or do I need to do everyone with ivermectin?

5. math ace

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Wazine does not treat gape worm. IT is a gentler wormer that only kills one or two types of worms. The other wormers are stronger and kill many more types of worms. HOWEVER, it you use the stronger wormers first and you have a worm infestation, your birds could die from the harsh reaction.

If you don't have gape worm, start with wazine to kill some worms - - - but not all. Then follow up a couple of weeks later with a stronger wormer. Then your bird's systems won't be overwhelmed.

6. math ace

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Quote:I would treat everybody with Ivermectin if you have gape worm in one bird. Worms spread. If one has it, the others may too.
    Gape worm is very serious.

This is just my opinion. Let's see what others recommend [​IMG]

7. thefishery

Oct 19, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Quote:I would treat everybody with Ivermectin if you have gape worm in one bird. Worms spread. If one has it, the others may too.
    Gape worm is very serious.

This is just my opinion. Let's see what others recommend [​IMG]

Ivermectin will kick pretty much all parasites right?

8. math ace

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Ivermectin will take care of everything except tapeworms . . . . per a goggle search.

The trouble with starting with Ivermectin is that it will kill your birds if they are heavily infested with too many birds. BE CAREFUL if you have never wormed your birds before.

If you have gapeworm- - - wazine is useless and you have to use Ivemectin and you can't wait the two weeks to do it in stages.

If you don't have gapeworm - - - use wazine 1st and them 2 weeks later follow up with the Ivemectin. www.upc.online.org recommends you worm the birds twice a year - - - once in the spring and once in the fall.

Good luck !

9. thefishery

Oct 19, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Quote:Thanks for all your help.

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Do the Q-tip swab first, that will determine which wormer to use. Again, if there ISNT anything on the Q-tip, use wazine 1st. Wazine only kills large roundworms. Two weeks later, use ivermectin pour on which will kill all kinds of worms except tapeworms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by