How to you blow out eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicknjane, Sep 18, 2009.

1. chicknjane

chicknjane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2009
    Pine Grove, PA
    I have seen many people indicate that they saved their chickens' first eggs by blowing them out. I assume I would just have to use a needle to poke a hole through each end, then blow the contents out. Is that basically it? Do I need to do anything else? How big do the holes need to be?

It just seems like a wonderful way to create a keepsake for the occassion. I can't wait for my first eggs from my freeloading girls.[​IMG]

2. rileysgranny

rileysgranny Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2008
    Tennessee, USA
    From what I've read, not experience, you put a small hole at each end of the egg, very gently with a needle. Make the hole at the big end larger than the one at the small end, by gently chipping away the shell. Poke something longer than the needle into the egg through the big hole and stir up the contents, breaking it up so that it will pass through the hole more easily. I was thinking a metal skewer of some type. Hold the egg over a bowl, place a drinking straw over the hole on the small end and blow through it into the egg. This is supposed to blow the contents out through the larger hole without breaking the egg shell!

I've tried just putting my mouth over the smaller hole and blowing, but it was pretty hard to blow out the contents. So maybe the straw makes it easier?

3. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    I use a long bit of wire to scramble the egg before I blow it out and I try and keep the holes as small as possible.

4. yellowchickensmomma

yellowchickensmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    I never thought of doing that. I will try when my baby chicks start to lay.

5. Cackling Hen

Cackling Hen Just Scratching Around

Apr 21, 2009
    Port Angeles Wa
    To funny you posted this... My niece never did it before so we got a needle made holes in each end and U just blow out the yolk your cheeks will get sore from blowing lol make sure the holes are not to big... Good luck they sure are neat she had a blast....................

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  6. SunnyD

SunnyD Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2009
    needle made holes in each end and U just blow out the yolk your cheeks will get sore for blowing lol make sure the hole are not to big

Cackling Hen is right on. I use to do this every Easter when I was a kid. I would suggest getting some other eggs to practice on before you do it on such a special egg;)

7. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    Quote:Cackling Hen is right on. I use to do this every Easter when I was a kid. I would suggest getting some other eggs to practice on before you do it on such a special egg;)

We do the same. We dye and/or paint blown out eggs, and hang them on ribbons from pussy willow or forsythia to make an "egg tree" for easter.

8. Cackling Hen

Cackling Hen Just Scratching Around

Apr 21, 2009
    Port Angeles Wa
    Quote:Cackling Hen is right on. I use to do this every Easter when I was a kid. I would suggest getting some other eggs to practice on before you do it on such a special egg;)

OH YES practice on the store bought eggs first.... [​IMG]

9. koifarm

koifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

We use white eggs for Psanky, which are Ukranian decorated eggs.
    How we empty them is poke a small hole in the bottom of the egg. Insert a paper clip and push in and out to break the yolk up.
    Get a small syringe from the feed store or at a pharmacy, attach a small rubber tube about 2" long (aquarium air tubing) to the syringe, insert the tube in the egg and push air in from the syringe, the scrambled egg will exit out the bottom.
    When empty, wash the egg out with warm water to clean the inside out and place in an egg carton with the hole down to let it drain.
    These eggs are nice and only have one hole in the bottom.
    You can use the eggs contents if they are fresh, good for scrambled eggs or baking....

10. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    I use to blow out the eggs I wanted to save but now I just set them aside somewhere, like in a bowl of poutpourri or a bird's nest and let them dry naturally. Don't put them in front of a sunny window or they will lose their color and fade a bit. But other than that, just set them somewhere and let them dry out.

After a few short months the insides are totally dried out and act as a weight in whatever position the egg was dried in. Then you can only put the egg in that position because if you try turning it some other way it will bounce back to the way it dried. So if you want them to dry pointy end up or laying on their side, put them that way first and leave them a few months.

I've had people break my eggs in my displays by picking them up to admire and dropping them or the dog knocking the nest off the table and the insides are completely dried up. I've never had one rot or smell or explode.

I find this method not only so much easier than blowing them out but now I don't have an ugly hole in each end.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by