How toxic is Angel's Trumpet to chickens?

Loa Kirkbride

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 10, 2011
I have a blooming Angel's Trumpet in my yard. Should I remove it? When I amended the soil this spring, old leaves and flowers got worked into the soil. I don't let my three chickens roam because of this plant. So I keep the chickens confined to their run, or the house. Could I leave it and just rake up fallen leaves and flowers?

You should post this in the "feeding and watering my flock" section of BYC, you will probably get more responses there. Good luck.

Oh and
welcome-byc.gif

It's toxic to chickens,. that being said,.. I have one in my yard with my free range flock,.. they have tasted it and moved on,. they don't eat it,.. same with my day lilies,.. but ya never know,.. I've been thinking of moving it,.. but yes,.. it's an "unsafe" plant.

There are several lists of toxic plants,.. here is one,.. hope this helps..

http://www.poultryhelp.com/toxicplants.html

you will get more results if you move this to the feeding and watering my flock section as sunny & the 5 egg layers suggested.

Welcome to BYC,..glad ya joined!
frow.gif

I have seven or eight clumps in my yard and the chickens are always around and under them. THis is the second season they have been there and so far none have had a problem. I don't pick up anything under them.
sharon

if you're worried about it, pull it out.

they more than likely will not mess with it. as the poster above said, they may taste it, but then will move on.

Back
Top Bottom