how warm for my chickies!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by stumble_n_mumble, Sep 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stumble_n_mumble

stumble_n_mumble Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    my chicks are a month old and i want them to sleep outside. i have a 10 gallon glass aquarium that fits in the coop. i was planning on adding straw to that and leaving them in there with the wire top on. its supposed to drop to 65 or a little lower tonight. should they be ok???

2. stumble_n_mumble

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    well thanks for all the reply's it is now night time. so good luck to my chicks and thanks to everyone who responded. NO ONE!

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Sorry![​IMG]

At a month old, they should be at about 80-are they pretty well feathered?

4. LittleFeat

LittleFeat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Hey I just got on here and saw your post. Sorry no one else replied but my 5 chicks are also 4 weeks old tomorrow and I just Friday night moved them into the coop. I put their red heat lamp out there too and I think it went to 60 degrees both nights. They seemed to have done great and have settled in to being in the "big girls coop". They snuggled down together in the shavings and seem very happy and already two nights now walked up the ramp and put themselves to bed. Hopefully yours will be fine too. [​IMG]

By the way...mine do have lots of feathers and they are all standard breeds.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  5. ShaggysGirl

ShaggysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    I put mine in their coop at 3 weeks with red heat lamps.

6. substandardtim

substandardtim Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2009
    how many 1 month old chicks are you trying to put in a 10 gallon? at 4 weeks in a seperated space (but large enough) they will be fine with a red heat lamp.

7. stumble_n_mumble

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    lol. wow look at all the posts now! HAHA [​IMG]

uhm its a silkie and a japanese bantam. i didnt put the heat lamp on them. cause the coop was pretty warm its small. and the glass tank i filled with hay and they were sleeping when i checked on them around 1130pm haha. thanks!!

8. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Sometimes posts come so fast(especially on Sunday evenings) that they get lost in the shuffle.

Glad you were able to get them bedded down comfortably for the night.[​IMG]

9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:I really don't understand posts like this. The info is already here in this forum on what the temp should be. The only way to know if it is warm enough in a particular situation is to observe the chicks, and perhaps a thermometer in their brooder. We are not responsible for these chicks.

I probably would have answered anyway, if I had read this when it was a new post, but I happened to be doing something with my family at the time. No one here is obligated to respond to any post.

10. stumble_n_mumble

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    alright flock mistress and i didn't need for your response now anyway now did i? i needed help because night time was coming fast. i did not in anyway say your responsible for the well being of my chicks. you dont have to explain yourself on why you didnt answer anyway there are so many other people out there to help and thats what got me agitated that no one wrote back, nothing, nada, zip. so thanks for nothing and if you don't have anything helpful for me about my topic then id appreciate no response. THANKS!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by