How warm is your cookie tin water heater? Looking for

mechanic57

Songster
Aug 23, 2014
Has anyone taken a thermometer to their cookie tin water heater? I'm interested in what wattage bulb you have, the diameter and depth of the cookie tin, and what temp the outside of the cookie tin is.

I made one today. The tin is 3.5 inches deep, 10 inches across, and I used a 60w bulb. I plugged it in on my kitchen counter (73 degrees in the kitchen) and it got to 213 degrees in less than 3 minutes. Its a digital thermometer I use for HVAC work so I know its good and accurate. I don't want this to burn my coop down and I don't want the bulb to keep blowing out from the heat. Interested in your guys heaters and looking for more precise data besides "warm to the touch."

25 watts is commonly used. The 3 inch long picture frame type bulbs. 40 watts is the other common bulb for cold climates. I too am vasillating on building a cookie tin warmer or just purchasing the metal base. The product uses 125w of power (which I may need up here at the boarder) and has horrid reviews of longevity. Breaking down second year.

I don't keep water or food in coop so don't have the worry of potential fire. If I were you would use a few pavers as a base to get it up out of bedding material and definitely use GFCI outlet.

I have been using one of these the last 5 years, I never took it's temp but it gets pretty cold here in mn . I use a 25 watt during the early winter and late winter/early spring but during the really cold times I use a 40 watt bulb. I personally wouldn't use a 60 watt.

Yes that is what I use on the cookie tin waterer inside the coop when its too cold and they don't want to go out. Out in the run I have a bucket 2 or 3 gallon with horizontal chicken nipples and a bird bath water heater in it.

Cool, thanks!

I have been using one of these the last 5 years, I never took it's temp but it gets pretty cold here in mn . I use a 25 watt during the early winter and late winter/early spring but during the really cold times I use a 40 watt bulb. I personally wouldn't use a 60 watt.

I have a good idea how cold it gets there. I was stationed in South Dakota for a long time. I'm back home in NJ now so maybe just a 25 watt bulb will be all that's necessary here. I'll have to get 25 watt bulbs and see how hot that gets. I do have a GFI.

Back
Top Bottom