How warm must it be for my new chicks in coop?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jay262, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Jay262

Jay262 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    I checked temp of my coop today its around 32 outside and in my coop its 44 is this gonna be warm enough for my chicks at 4 weeks old. Right now i dont have a heatlamp in there just a 60 watt bulb. I plan on installing a 250 watt before they go outside. The coop is insulated no drafts and about 3x4 its just a brooding coop until new chicks can go in with the other birds. I normally dont hatch chicks this late in the year this is a first and prob the last.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It may be warm enough. Check to see if they are crowding together. If so then they are cold. If not you're good to go.
    I have 5 week olds with no heat in bldg but it rarely gets below 45 in there now.
    ETA:

At night they'll crowd together anyway regardless of temps so that isn't an indication of cold.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Just me, but I would want a heat lamp. Securely suspended with back up cables.

4 weeks is a bit young, in my book, and I am a notorious, old, "no-heat", up north guy. 4 weeks they still need assistance, in my book. I'd want them at 70 degrees and work them down to 40 degree by stages and finally, on their own at 7 weeks in these November temps.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

And remember, the entire area doesn't have to be maintained at a certain temp (say 70 degrees for example), just the space directly beneath the lamp. So place a thermometer in the bedding beneath where your bulb is. If it's in the ballpark of 70 degrees then all should be fine. In a small brooder coop, a 60w bulb may be enough to do that. If not, is your housing rated for 75 or 100??? Personally, I think a 250w heat bulb (if that's what you're thinking of buying) would be too much for a small coop...they do sell heat bulbs as low as 50w in pet stores (reptile section).

5. Jay262

Apr 21, 2009
    I have a 250 watt i was using inside in there brooder. It will be going outside with them more then likely now when they go out. The 60watt was whats already out there and what i measured the temp with at the time.

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

A 250Watt can make a heat circle that will suffice. I cannot tell you how high to hang it. That will take some experimental to get that right, given the ambient temperatures at that time. If the weather suddenly warms and they don't need the intense heat? They'll just move away from it. I'd say you have it well in hand.

7. Jay262

Apr 21, 2009
    Well i put them outside and its around -3 outside and about 17 inside the coop so we will see tommorow. Those temps are in celcius im canadian eh. [​IMG] The 250 watt heatlamp heats the small coop very well.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by