How was I suppose to know??? (work related)

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by BarkerChickens, Dec 26, 2009.

1. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    I am a part-time research assistant at my university (basically getting paid to do my Master's thesis). I work my own hours...on my own research. My time varies between the lab, field and home. Time sheets are submitted to payroll in person every other Friday, but must be in by the following Monday. Well, since my hours scatter all over the place, I looked on the payroll departments website to see if Xmas eve was a holiday, so I could fill out my timesheet accordingly (a University makes up their own schedule, so who knows what you'll get...and I can't work holidays). I would like to note that there is NO reason to EVER visit their site except in rare cases like the above. So, what did I find? That timesheets had to be submitted by Xmas eve since Xmas was a holiday (a given, of course) and they are taking ALL of next week as a holiday (so, no Monday submittal like we get the rest of the year!)! How was I suppose to know this unless I had gone to their site and downloaded the PDF (which was listed under forms of all places!). It happened to be by chance that I even saw it. So, now I probably won't get paid this coming Friday (direct deposit, so it'd probably post Thursday evening). I won't get paid until January 15th! [​IMG] And, my funding is up Dec. 31st, so my professor said to put my 40 hrs Sun-Thurs of this upcoming week, so I can get paid for all 40 without being effected by the dates. Well, now that the Payroll department is closed for "holiday", does that mean I can't get paid for any of my hours that I have to work? I have to work anyway since it is my thesis. [​IMG] DH is on unemployment, so money is tight as it is. Luckily, most of our bills are all due between the 18th and 30th of each month, so our bills are paid, but we'll be broke for even groceries until the middle of the month. [​IMG] Yea, I can't argue that it is my fault in that I should have checked, but how was I suppose to know to check? [​IMG] Even my professor didn't know that they were going to claim all of next week as holiday. It isn't like they sent out a notice to all of us or put a note in with the last paychecks. None of us have any reason to go onto their website...especially forms (we're already hired....we don't need the forms). We'll be fine, I am sure, but I don't like being this strapped...especially when I have money coming, but was suppose to read someone's mind to get it in time. [​IMG] I'll just pray that DH gets his unemployment check on time and that nothing major comes up.
    ETA: I wanted to add that it wasn't obvious on their site either. I had to do a search for "Holiday" to even find it! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  2. 19Dawn76

19Dawn76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Toadsuck, AR
    [​IMG] That bites. Maybe you could use one of those pay day advance places if anything major comes up. I used to work with a girl that used it in emergencies. Good luck.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  3. BarkerChickens

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Quote:Thanks. We'd ask DH's parents for an advance first. They always let their kids know they'll help if needed (and they are interest free!). It's just a bummer to ask for help when we try so hard to be on top of bills/finances. I am very grateful for their assistance, should it be needed.

4. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    my dh didn't pay attention to the unemployment schedule for reapplying for benifits. and now we may have to go a week or more before he gets his next check from them. i had been nagging him to check on this a few weeks ago knowing how tight the cash was going to be this month and he kept telling me we were 'fine'. [​IMG]

i'm on vacation since our place shuts down, but it is good that it is paid time off. his former job was working a grant funded position at our local university and he had the same thing happen like that but someone was always in the office to take care of payroll issues this time of year (guess it seemed to happen often).

i hope you will be able to get through to someone there to get it resolved soon. good luck [​IMG]

5. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Shucks!

You said their was no reason to ever visit the website, well turns out their was.

6. BarkerChickens

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Quote:Yep. [​IMG] I just wish I had known before it was too late. I don't know if anyone who knew either except for the people who actually work in the office.[​IMG] Oh well. [​IMG] Too late now to cry over spilled milk, right?

Chickie'sMoma...you give me hope. Hopefully someone in payroll will be in the office for those of us who didn't know. [​IMG]

7. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Sorry, Hope it's not too rough.

On the bright side, think of how good it'll feel to get that double check on the 15th.

Imp

8. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    I am surprised! Every place school or not that moved submission dates sent out an announcement e-mail prior to it happening.

The only thing I can get uppity about is people who don't check institutional e-mail..... ie my students, who then swear they didn't know stuff that I notified them of by e-mail.

If they didn't send out an e-mail - complain.

9. BarkerChickens

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    I have WHAT in my yard? :

I am surprised! Every place school or not that moved submission dates sent out an announcement e-mail prior to it happening.

The only thing I can get uppity about is people who don't check institutional e-mail..... ie my students, who then swear they didn't know stuff that I notified them of by e-mail.

If they didn't send out an e-mail - complain.

Yea, I agree! I am the type of person who is most often on top of things and ahead of schedule (largely because I like things organized and to be prepared for anything upcoming). I check my email (both campus and private, which are both used by different departments) and have great communication skills with my coworkers. However, we don't deal with payroll except to do the initial paperwork and submit time sheets. Additionally, the university currently has winter intersessions courses, so the university itself is open and actively has students attending. [​IMG] I hope that there observance of an entire holiday week does not mean that I cannot work my 40 hours for the week as well. My funding is up Dec. 31st, so (as far as I know) I can't make up those hours. [​IMG] We'll see.

It isn't the end of the world...just disappointing.

Imp, you are so right! [​IMG] Our mortgage is due the 18th and the bills start becoming due in the days following through the end of the months. So, the timing actually works out well! It could be far worse!​

10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Is this Cal State Fullerton?? They have never had their poop together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by