How was the silkied serama made?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by peeps7, Jan 12, 2011.

1. peeps7

peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    Out of curiosity, how was the silkied serama made? Were they actually bred to silkies and then just bred back to seramas? I am very anxious to see how this was done, hehe. [​IMG]

2. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    The silkied gene is inherant in the breed, and it's recessive, just like in other breeds. I don't think that it would be worth one's while to cross to a Silkie to get silkied Seramas; there are too many dominant Silkie traits that are hard to breed out. It would take a really long time to get rid of feathered legs, walnut comb, extra toes, black skin, etc.

3. peeps7

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    I was just curious, it is a very fascinating gene I think, I would love to learn more about it....Thank-you for replying catwalk [​IMG]

4. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    as was said it just turns up, if the genes match up right, just like this guy,

[​IMG]
    he was in a batch of barred Cochin chicks, no crossing necessary

5. peeps7

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    He is gorgeous but there had to be some type of crossing or something waaaaay back that had to make him look like that. Is it like a mutation?

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Technically all genes that are not wildtype (as in present in the red jungle fowl) are mutations. Silkied feathers on chickens are relatively common in Asia. Not that all chickens are silkied, but as in it is much more common to find it in other breeds. Much like finding frizzled feathering in multiple breeds here.

7. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    I have 2 silked chickens, but I don't know what breeds they are. Their legs are clean, but they both have 5 toes. I bought them at an auction
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    This silkied Serama pullet just showed up in a breeder's flock, and he didn't want her. As she is my only silkied, no silkieds will show up in F1 crosses, but I think it would be nice if the gene floats around in my flock and pops up as a suprise now and then!
    [​IMG]

9. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    I've seen some discussion that silkied Serama tend to have shorter lifespans.

10. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:if you read over at scna 's website there is an account of how 1 breeder came up with silkied seramas good luck I think it is in the genetics sub forum over there

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by