How was your season?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by the_great_snag, Oct 31, 2010.

1. the_great_snag

the_great_snag Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    Hey everyone,
    How was your chicken season this year? I had a busy yet generally happy one. I moved into my country place in late July and immediately ordered chicks.
    My first order was from Meyer's. I ordered 15 Buckeyes and 10 OEGB's. They took 3 days to arrive and I lost all my OEGB's and 2 Buckeyes. Meyers promptly replaced them though. My exotic was a black silkie.
    The second order was a hungry man assortment from Cackle. It consisted of 50 broilers and 25 sex link hens. I had only 1 loss in this group to normal chick issues. I had a couple that got nailed by the dogs though... [​IMG]

Anyway, the broilers turned out great and we had a very busy day butchering them, but they were very nicely feathered and plucked beautifully in my brother-in-law's whizbang plucker. I think the biggest problem we had was getting a good consistent scald using a turkey fryer (with water of course) and a thermometer. We ended up needing one person just for scalding duty.

Next year I plan on a thermostatic scalder and hopefully a Featherman plucker!

I should add I held them to 9 weeks but they were on strictly free range foraging the final 2 weeks. I think this helped them to feather out and develop better bone structure prior to butcher. I still have 2 running around that I promised to my neighbor that are doing great at 3 months of age.

My sex link hens are doing well and I am hopeful they will be laying in a few months. I got them in mid-August when they were 2 days old. The Buckeyes and surviving OEGB's are also doing well, but I am sad to report I have NO OEGB roosters. I plan to remedy this next year with at least 25 assorted birds, probably from Meyers again. I am finding myself partial to the barred and white varieties.

Finally I am very sad to say my stupid dog also got loose one other time and got our silkie. I will also definitely be replacing him in the spring. Right after I buy a stronger dog tie-out!

2. the_great_snag

the_great_snag Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    Also I should add that while I love the broilers' personalities I feel they are poor pets due to their limited life expectancies.

My sister raised a barnyard assortment of heavy roosters and we found that the Buff Orpingtons and Delawares were the cleanest to pluck and generally the best-natured birds. The Barred Rocks and Black Australorps did not pluck out well.

She is planning to do broilers next year, while I may add a few BO's and possibly White Rocks to my flock.

3. hongyush2008

hongyush2008 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2010
    shenzhen
    Quote:Well, my chicken product well and sell well too. Very happy, they are quite healthy and not have any ill this year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by