How was your winter?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by TheEggCollecter, Mar 14, 2015.

1. TheEggCollecter

TheEggCollecter Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    Massachusettes
    Winter's end is long overdue and i think i can speak for everybody and say Spring can't come fast enough! [​IMG]Up in New England it was a long, cold, slow, and snowy winter and I am praying for warmer weather. [​IMG]It was
    tough on my flock[​IMG] and their egg production too. I want to hear how winter went for everybody on BYC! North, South, East, West![​IMG] Anything you want to share I would love to hear it![​IMG]
    Stories, questions, etc.[​IMG]Whatever you want!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    We didn't have a "real" snow until the middle of February and our last one was 2 weeks ago. The didn't lay much sadly but they did lay [​IMG]! I agree we need Spring NOW. The only sad thing that happened in the winter is we lost 2 hens to predators[​IMG]. Other then that it wasn't to bad.

3. TheEggCollecter

Feb 16, 2014
    Massachusettes
    Yes my egg production went down too and i also lost a few hens [​IMG] Hopefully the weather turns soon!

4. Curlyginger

Curlyginger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2014
    Massachusetts
    This was my first year with chickens. It was a tough one. The only hen who didn't lay like a champ was my EE. She took the winter off, but has recently started laying again. But - we've got a recemt feather picking problem that we are, hopefully, starting to get under control. We've got 5 hens in a 4x4 coop, which I know is tight. They gave 15 sq feet EACH in the run, which is where they spend all their waking hours. We've had some frostbite issues, too (as you know, it has been COLD this year). Between those issues and the snow and the cold, I am just ready to be done. I want summer. I want to be so hot that all I can is sit around and complain about how hot I am!

5. TheEggCollecter

Feb 16, 2014
    Massachusettes
    Hahaha me too! I would take the heat over the cold any day! I had a few hens get minor frostbite too but nothing too bad. Thank god! [​IMG]

6. rougerage16

rougerage16 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2012
    Over in California we don't have snow, we had two bad rain storms that flooded the ground, but that's it. Our summers are more of an issue because the girls get so dang overheated.

7. Americano Blue

Americano Blue Mush on!

Apr 14, 2014
    Hello Spring
    My Coop
    We had almost no snow this winter...which it OK but I do love snow... The chickens were grateful for it.

8. TheEggCollecter

Feb 16, 2014
    Massachusettes
    I wish that was me! Over three feet of snow but I could never leave New England. [​IMG]

9. TheEggCollecter

Feb 16, 2014
    Massachusettes
    Wow. I love snow too but I'm getting sick of it

10. Americano Blue

Americano Blue Mush on!

Apr 14, 2014
    Hello Spring
    My Coop
    I don't think I could ever get sick of snow XD

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by