How well can chicks/chickens see?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by goldeneggtees, Apr 6, 2009.

1. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    The chicks seem to have excellent eye sight. They can spot and peck at a tiny minute mole or speck of anything. I am amazed. They really seem to look at us and at different things.

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    They do see quite well, but not in low-light conditions.

3. countrygirlatheart

countrygirlatheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Huffman Texas
    Ours see very well and have started looking up at us when we talk to them. We're new at this ourselves, so I am constantly on this site [​IMG] looking up info. it was hilarious the other night, a tiny tiny stick got in their box, and they were all chasing after whoever had it, taking it away from that one and running. I can't wait to give them som crickets and see what they do.

4. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    I didn't realize chickens could see as far as they can. One day a roo alerted to a vulture that was quite high in the sky. I had no idea their distance vision was so good.

5. Lkcoop66

Lkcoop66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2013
    Great story. They are funny to watch. I am also new to this and am learning something new every day.

6. Serenity Sav

Serenity Sav Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2014
    Bonny Doon, California
    They have excellent vision; many would argue it's better than humans'. Chickens can see colors better than us, and also colors that human eyes can't see at all. And yeah, night vision isn't so good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by