How well do frizzles handle the cold?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by txchickie, Oct 29, 2009.

1. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    It's supposed to get to about 25 tonight (already [​IMG]) and I'm worried about my frizzle roo being too cold. Should I put a heat lamp out for him (seperating him from the others--only he would get heat)?
    I am prepared to give him heat each night if necessary.

2. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Mine seem to do ok with those temps as long as they have a coop without drafts and somebody to cuddle with.

3. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    I don't know aabout frizzles, never had them. But according to the BYC BREED INDEX he should be fine.

4. txchickie

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    Quote:That's the thing, he sleeps alone [​IMG] He obviously cannot fly and can't get up and roost like the others so he sleeps alone on the floor of the coop. The rest of the bantams go to the trees, he's the ONLY bird in the coop.

I am worried for my frizzy little man.

5. txchickie

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    Well he ended up with a red heat lamp [​IMG] I went out to check on him about 10 times before bed and finally decided I wouldn't be able to sleep while worrying about him.
    DH is going to get me a thermocube to plug in and we'll give him heat this winter.

6. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    You need to get him a little silkie or frizzle friend!

7. txchickie

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    Quote:He's a proud papa to 7 two- week old chicks [​IMG] So far I think 4 are frizzled, he will have some little buddies soon [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by