How well do nipple waterers work?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Zahboo, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I am designing our coop and want to have the waterer to work in our 4 breeder pens and the layer coop. The coops will be side by side. The bucket will be 4' high, on top of the breeder pens. Will a normal bucket, 5 gallons, be able to supply three cochin bantams, 5 silkies, and 6 layers? If it only lasts a full day that is okay, but it needs to last a full day. I prefer it last longer, but it's all good. It's entirely too hot here, in the summer it gets to 100. In the winter we were thinking of using a fish tank heater in the bucket except for insanely cold nights (in the teens). Also, what nipples can I use with round pvc pipe? We have been unable to find square locally, and don't want to ship. TSC has been the only place we found the actual nipple waterers and they were the push in kind. Is that okay? Any advice is needed.

2. MakNugget

MakNugget Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Not much help for you but ever since I changed to nipples I'll have a hard time going back to trays. They take really well to the idea.

I've considered running a horizontal line of PVC for my chicks but since i don't have as many as you, i opted for vertical single placement. I've done a bit of research on horizontal orientation and it sounds like you have to be careful in how you insert the nipples to avoid leakage in round pipe. Bigger diameter the better (since the nipple has more "flat" area to rest against) but I've seen 1/2" pipe (I believe) used as well. Also need to drill 11/32" holes straight. I believe for PVC application, you'll need screw in type, but I'm pretty sure you can use push in types if you're careful. I lube it with water and use a 1/4" fender washer to help push them in.

I've seen someone rig a sprayer/mister for their chicks on hot days, perhaps you may be able to add that to your todo list [​IMG]

3. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    My birds are kept in breeder pens, horrible I know. The landlord doesn't want them ruining his grass and he wouldn't agree to a tractor (they free range many hours every day) So they are on shavings. Misting would cause a mold issue and we are having flies this year (I think everyone is) so I don't think a mister will work. The layers are the only ones that will be not on shavings, and we're agreeing to buy sod when we move [​IMG] Stupid, I know. its just crab grass.

Anyway, how I was thinking of using end caps instead of drilling straight into the pipe so leaks are easier to fix, easier to replace nipples, and clean. Then using the sharkbite joints at all the bends and such. Will gravity exert enough pressure to do this?

[​IMG]

4. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
  5. Mother of All

Mother of All Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Millbrook
    I started using them about 2 months ago and the third generation loves them. My 2 generation have used them but they free range with the first generation where there are pools, buckets and old waters that they can get to so they don't use the nipples very often. I love they, so much easier to use and no cleaning

6. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    Can you post your set up?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by