1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How well do Silkies lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LindsayB, May 6, 2011.

1. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    I've been thinking alot about keeping a flock of just silkies. We have a rather small backyard and right now we have a silkie and 2 easter eggers. The silkie is about 7 months old and not laying yet and the 2 easter eggers are just over a year. They each lay about 4-5 eggs week. I'm just curious as to how many a week I would get from 4 silkies???

2. 9farmgirl9

9farmgirl9 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Jasper, Mo
    They don't lay good at all they may lay an egg every other day then stop for a couple weeks and go back, they go broody VERY often so they arent good layers, mine lay one every other dayfor about 2 weeks then go broody for 3 weeks even when eggs aren t under them, and they are very hard to break of broody once had one go for 10 months striaght!

3. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Miss Chloe hasn't laid an egg since August. Or maybe once or twice since then. But who cares? She's our Silkie. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. LindsayB

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    Ah! Thats not what I wanted to hear! haha. Guess I'll just stick with my silkie and 2 ee's then...

5. LindsayB

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    I have really grown to love silkies, and since we got our little buff girl, Charlotte, I've wanted more. [​IMG] Guess I'll have to wait a few more years until we buy a some land...then I can have multiple coops! lol

6. 9farmgirl9

9farmgirl9 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Jasper, Mo
    Ya there a joy to have, Marshmallow and Francesca are my favs Marshy looks like a white pom pom and francesca is very sweet. [​IMG]

7. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Quote:Well that's the thing, then. The Silkies are good for other stuff, like jumping at grasshoppers, stalking squirrels, entertaining us with their funny talk, seeking laps. The occasional egg is more like a bonus.

There's a suburban vegetarian gardener I know who doesn't even eat eggs, and her Silkies are quite perfect for her! [​IMG]

8. TinyLittleFarm

TinyLittleFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Mine actually lay really well...probably 5 eggs a week. But that's only when they're not broody. I just posted about how they are always broody, silly things. [​IMG]

9. stellacat

stellacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    Quote:I just responded to your post! How hilarious is that! [​IMG]

10. Chickenlover20

Chickenlover20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2012
    My Blue Silkie just started laying, she gave 2 her eggs to me.
    If she doesnt laying very well, I always will still love her to death!
    She's sweetest girl ever.
    I never seen her laying. but i found her eggs in my coop as a surpise gift from her. haha

[​IMG]

The blue one when she;'s young.. I have 3 silkies hens. there are them. :)
    Brown one have a MOST of FLUFFIEST head than blue one. Blue one is 2nd fluffiest head, and black one have lightly fluffy not heavy as others.
    They are still sweet chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by