How well do standard cochins lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by willkatdawson, Mar 2, 2009.

1. willkatdawson

willkatdawson Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    Do standard cohcins lay as well as say, orpingtons?

2. chickn

chickn Away for a bit

Apr 15, 2008
    New Hampshire
    my std cochins did take a few months off this winter, i dont know about orpingtons

3. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    I am a newbie, but I have done a lot of reading on the topic because I wanted to get some cochins along with my buff orpingtons because they're beautiful and supposed to be very sweet. Anyway, they are supposed to be pretty bad layers... i think like an egg a week to Orpingtons' three per week on average, something like that.

Cochins are supossed to me good meat birds and pets, though.

4. chickn

chickn Away for a bit

Apr 15, 2008
    New Hampshire
    my std cochins do lay everyday in the spring, summer, fall and she did brood a few chicks

5. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
  6. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    My Cochin is currently laying right along with my Orps and Australorp.
    The Australorp laid through the winter. The Orps and Cochin began laying steadily about 2.5 weeks ago

7. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    GOT 3 GIRLS LAYING FOR THE PAST WEEK= 20 EGGS. I AM NOT FAMILIAR WITH ORPHINGTONS. I HAVE A BLUE HEN THAT WOULD SIT ON A PILE OF ROCKS UNTIL IT STARTED PEEPING! WHE RECENTLY SAT A COMMUNITY NEST OF 21, HATCHED 17 AND BROODED ALL OF THEM--- EVEN WITH WINTER COLD SHE NEVER LOST A CHICK!

HOPE THIS HELPS [​IMG]

P.S. == ALL MINE, EVEN BUBBA THE 14LB ROO ARE LAPDOG SWEET!

8. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Mine have laid consistently right up until it snowed yesterday LOL!!! That's the first time they have ever seen snow and I guess they thought they had died or something, I got 1 egg today and yesterday down from 14 and 17 the days before.

9. ears73

ears73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Westchester, NY
    Mine tend to be moody - very unsettled with the snow as well... They seem to take time off from laying every now and again. I have 3 white and 1 partridge(just started laying this winter and tends to do her own thing so she might have a different egg laying record).

All very sweet birds tho!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by