How well does head pattern sexing work for emus? Is there other ways?

Ella2710

Chirping
May 6, 2020
Minnesota
I want to hatch emu chicks in the future but dont know how to sex them, the guy I bought my emu from said mine was a girl based on the head pattern, how reliable is this method? Is there other ways? Any guesses as to my emus gender?
20200507_122355.jpg

Not too many emu experts here!

For just hatched emus, the shell is usually sent to a lab for testing
Sexing life stock and all Eggs for incubating,
I want to hatch emu chicks in the future but don't know how to sex them, the guy I bought my emu from said mine was a girl based on the head pattern, how reliable is this method? Is there other ways? Any guesses as to my emus gender? View attachment 2127247
Hi Ella.. I think this head pattern method is not reliable, nor have some feather test by vets, according to a few who did it, and were totally wrong, in some cases 2 were males not a pair.
I used to incubate lots of bantam eggs, and found about 40-50 % were unwanted males, awww then found an answer.
Get a small magnet, (craft shops ) put it an a ribbon or fine string, dangle it over back of your emu's neck, 6 inches above, hold still and if it swings, it's a girl, back and forth it's a boy, stays still , not fertile. Just can't go wrong.
Then I set 80 polish bantam eggs, tested them, and all hatched, 78 girls, and 2 boy which I wanted for an order, better then wasting £35+ to vets or to send eggs away to a lab, they would certainly not be fertile any more being messed with and wasted time. Try it on an animal you know the sex, dog, cats etc.
Good luck and let me know please.
Calla.

Back
Top Bottom