How were the original Buff-laced Brahma chickens bred?

nissalovescats

In the Brooder
Feb 29, 2016
Daggett, Upper Michigan
I'm curious as to how new color varieties of chicken breeds are started, such as the Buff-laced Brahmas or Gold-laced Brahmas. Do you just get the three official Brahma colors and breed them to one another until something new emerges? I'm really curious as to how this is done and haven't found any answers online so far.

Thanks for the link. I was wondering if one was limited to Brahmas-only in the development of new colors, because I had three half-Brahmas that looked to be Brahma sized and shaped but with some gold lacing.

It takes many generations of selective breeding, and culling, to establish proper Brahma type after the outcross, more if you are starting with hatchery Brahmas.

Sounds like a lot of fun.
smile.png
I figured it would be a lot of work. But it might be interesting to get a new line started. I'm looking around the internet to find pictures of well-marked Buff-laced, Gold-laced, and Buff Brahmas so that I know what I'm working towards.

Well marked gold or buff laced birds will be much easier to find than those same colors in a well built Brahma of size. Good standard buff Brahmas can be found with some work.

Last edited:
Sounds like a lot of fun.
smile.png
I figured it would be a lot of work. But it might be interesting to get a new line started. I'm looking around the internet to find pictures of well-marked Buff-laced, Gold-laced, and Buff Brahmas so that I know what I'm working towards.
Hi there’s a lady in New Zealand that teaches about chicken genetics and I’m starting a project to create bufflaced Brahma. Using her teachings of color genetics ways.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZkmuqBJd8WQ0QLvsnFBeAGb1kWFbsPlh
See if this helps you

Back
Top Bottom