How Were Your Christmas Dinners?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Ruthster55, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Ruthster55

Ruthster55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    [​IMG]

This post is for everyone who harvested a bird from your own flock for Christmas dinner!! Describe the bird(s), how you prepared them, and what you and your guests thought of them!!

I'll go first. I harvested a mixed-breed rooster plus a mixed-breed naked neck hen. Butchered using a knife across the jugular and cut into pieces after processing.

Relaxed the pieces overnight in the fridge in milk with a bit of meat tenderizer. The milk was whole raw milk direct from a cow that is on the same propérty.

Early Christmas morning, I pre-baked the pieces for about 30 minutes each. I then added them to water plus some fresh milk in a large pot and slow-cooked for 3.5 hours. An hour before we ate, I added potatoes and onions along with some spices.

The people who ate the dinner are already experienced eaters of non-CornishX chicken. They told me they really liked the dinner and said that I had done a successful job in making the roo tender.

The rooster was good and meaty. I thought the hen was rather scrawny.

My own evaluation is that I could have cooked it just a tiny bit longer, 1/2 hour more perhaps, and used a few more spices.

2. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    New to chicken keeping, but your recipe sounds delish. I'm looking forward to being able to eat my own homegrown birds. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by