how/when to feed new chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CoffeeCow, Dec 22, 2010.

1. CoffeeCow

CoffeeCow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Washington, NC
    my broody hatched out her 1st chick this morning!

She is in the coop with the rest of the flock, so my question is... how do I feed just the chicks?
    I got some medicated chick feed for them, but I am sure the general population would love to eat all of it....
    I built a broody pen off to the side of the coop (its almost done) for when they all hatch, I am planning on putting her and her chicks in there... but I don't want to move her till everyone is hatched. (and i need to finish the brooder [​IMG] )

should I offer the chick food? or wait a few days?

heres a pic from this morning, [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I don't have a clue, but I always thought you had to separate the broody and her chicks away from the rest of the flock or they could kill them.

3. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Get a small dish, one for water and one for food and place them in the kennel with mom. Make sure that the chicks cannot get stuck or drown in the water - I put small stones in the bottom so there is just under an inch of "free" water.

She will call the babies to drink and to eat. Often the chicks will first eat from mom's beak. So easy - you will LOVE having a broody!

4. CoffeeCow

CoffeeCow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Washington, NC
    I will be separating them when they all hatch, they weren't supposed to hatch till the 24th, this little one is early....
    I loaded her up on the 4th.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by