How/where do you store your feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by tuhraycee, Jun 24, 2011.

1. tuhraycee

tuhraycee Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2011
    I've thought about buying one of those horizontal sheds or some sort of Rubbermaid tub with a snap lid to keep outside the coop to store the feed in. Then I thought it would be better to ask what everyone else does and learn from your experience! I know it needs to be waterproof and pest/critter proof.

2. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    I only have 3 chickens, so this may not be an option. But I keep it in the house. At first I had it in a trashcan on the porch--with bungie cord. That drew the raccoons like nobody's business! And raccoons CAN get a bungie cord off, LOL.

I finally gave up and put it in the house. I have 4 of these stacking bins (PetSmart)--2 of them hold chicken feed (1 for layer pellets, one for scratch--oyster shell and grit on top). Every a.m. I just get what they need for the day and take it out to them when I open up their door. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga. We keep our feed inside a temperature control tack room. We purchase 1500#s at a time. A local mill mixes it for us. As we open the bags we put it in 5 gal. buckets with lids. I've never had mold,bugs or vermin. NPIP Ga.-1211:D

4. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

I keep feed in a metal garbage can, in the coop.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  5. PHILMAN

PHILMAN Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    South Plainfield , NJ
    I keep mine in a metal trash can with a bungee cord over the top . Right next to the coop . Much easier and faster to feed them .

6. Cadjien_De_Louisiane

Cadjien_De_Louisiane SWLA Gamefowl Breeder

Apr 18, 2011
    Welsh, LA
    If I could fit all the feed I buy in those stackables I would, I have never seen those nice.. I use metal trash cans from Lowe's and keep them in my shop.

7. Cadjien_De_Louisiane

Cadjien_De_Louisiane SWLA Gamefowl Breeder

Apr 18, 2011
    Welsh, LA
    Quote:Also an extra crawfish pot. lol

8. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:X2. [​IMG]

9. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    The stacking bins hold 40-50 pounds each. [​IMG]

10. citybiddies

citybiddies Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2011
    We only buy 25 lbs at a time which fits perfectly in a plastic 5 gallon bucket w/lid. Stored it in the house while they were chicks, but now have it out on our screen porch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by