how, where, how much and why do you use DE?

DE (food grade) is a wonderful product if you can get it. I bought mine at the local feed mill of Atlantic Co-Op, where the food master uses it in approved Co-Op feed. I bought 50 pounds and I expect it to last at least 6 months for 12 birds. I treated the planks over concrete in our coop with sprinkling of DE and I add it to fresh shavings. I also use 2-4 cups a week for sprinkling around the perimeter of our roofed run, to keep insects and ticks from crossing the barrier to the birds. It's a good deodorizer too. I wouldn't be without it now.
cool.png

We purchased a 50# bag and have been using it. Seems to be helping with the smell, ants and so far all types of bugs.

I took my husbands hand held spreader and sprinkled inside and outside the run and all over the run. I think the spreader holds about 5 cups, but I have a large run and coop.

Make sure to get Food Grade DE. I also read someplace that you have to replace it after a rain becaue it will wash away.

"My avatar says "Jimmy, Answer me! Please! Can't figure out how to make the print so you can read it... Photoshop. If anyone has any ideas let me know, please."
Try this:

9574_jimmy.jpg

It's a jpg file. Right click the picture, choose "Save image as...", and save it wherever you want to access it from.

Last edited:
I use pine shavings and I sprinkle FOOD GRADE Diatomaceous Earth (DE) on the shavings. Also my roosts in my coop are over wire which allows the poop through and I sprinkle the DE over the poop too. The pine shavings are on the floor in the rest of the coop. Monthly I add some shavings until I have approx 4/6in, and weekly I add more DE. I clean my coop once a year. Once in awhile I throw some scratch on the shavings and let the chickens mix it up. They do a very good job. I have no problems with flies, stink and such. My pine shavings stay nice and dry easy to clean out. I put them in my compost pile. which every once in awhile I give a toss to keep it mixed up with the other stuff that goes in. sprinkle with water and let it cook. I move my coop and chicken yard about every 3 months approx, clean up the poop under the roost and it goes into the compost. I grow so much produce that I give most of it away. My soil is low in acid so I think the pine shavings are good for my soil. I usually buy the pine shavings at my local feed store. They were out before, so I have bought some in the pet department at Wal-Mart.

I think this is the site where I bought my DE. I bought 50lbs which I store in 5 gal buckets with lids. http://www.internet-grocer.net/diatome.htm

Last edited:
Quote:
WOW! Those shipping charges are obscene!

I'm not sure that is where we got it. My husband ordered it because the feed stores in our area don't carry it.

Back
Top Bottom