How / Where to sell eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ske1806, Jul 17, 2010.

1. ske1806

ske1806 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2010
    Patterson, New York
    Wondering how people are selling their eggs? I don't know whom to approach really, not sure how to go about finding takers..

2. thefishery

thefishery Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I only have two laying hens right now so I don't have eggs to sell but anytime I mention we have chickens to people, they want our eggs. A lot of people around here have a sign in their yard for fresh eggs. I've got a friend who says she could sell 10 dozen eggs a day for the amount of people who ask for them. I bet if you just got the word out, you'll have people come for them.

3. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    I posted a flyer at the mini-mart in town. It worked really well. We also had been selling fresh milk, and so many of our customers were very happy to get eggs too. So through these two things, plus word of mouth, I'm currently selling about 18 dozen/week. It does take time and patience however to build up a customer base. [​IMG]

4. br64

br64 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2010
    Right now I'm selling mine by " word of mouth". If you have a printer make up posters advertising fresh eggs for sale. You can take them to your local feed store, insurance offices, doctor's offices, schools....just about anywhere. That's what I did several years ago when I had about 50 hens and I almost had more customers than I could handle.

5. tcmstalcup

tcmstalcup Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Texas
    I started selling thru my ordinary daily social contacts. Let people at church, school with the kids, work etc know that you have fresh eggs. I can't keep up with demand now. Anybody you talk to, mention your chickens. The minute they say they love fresh eggs tada you have new customers.

6. Gold Griffin Chicken Mom

Gold Griffin Chicken Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Suffolk, Virginia
    I gave out free samples. "Want to try a dozen of my hens' eggs?" After they've had a chance to try them, I ask how often they would be interested in getting eggs from me. I've got two real steady paying customers and a bunch of "once in awhile" people. We only have six laying hens right now, but they ran me completey out of cartons earlier this Summer. (Thank you EggCartons.com!) I hope my two surviving April babies are both girls and will start laying soon. If the 20 "assorted all female large fowl" all make it to laying age, I'll be rolling in eggs... Um, you know what I mean. Currently the girls almost make enough to pay for their feed!

I got lots of the six-egg cartons from EggCartons.com, so my free samples will be by the six pack from now on. I also have business cards with my phone number on them. I had gotten the cards for something else, but I've yet to use up all the cards from a pack before *some*thing changes on them, so may as well pass them out to egg customers.

7. ske1806

Apr 18, 2010
    Patterson, New York
    Thanks so much everyone for the information -- how much do you charge per dozen or per six?

8. ske1806

Apr 18, 2010
    Patterson, New York
    Oh and do people come and pick them up or do you drop them off someplace or with each customer? (My husband is nervous to have strangers come to the house)

9. thefishery

thefishery Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Quote:Check with some organic or coop stores. I've seen fresh eggs for sale in their cooler that come from a farm in town. They are neatly labeled. I wondered myself how they got their eggs in there. If you check on something like that let me know.

10. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    I charge $1.50/dozen (for large to ex-large eggs). Sometimes people come and get them from us, and sometimes we deliver them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by