How will a lone chick fair socially?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rcentner, Sep 19, 2009.

1. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    I had only 1 egg hatch and the chick is doin well, but I wonder if it will have trouble because it is the only chick. No mother or siblings to guide it and show it chicken behavior. does it matter? anything I can do to help show it chicken ways? Do you think the flock will accept it when it is old enough?

2. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

To be honest it wont do well. I had the same problem. They are flock animals.

Options

1) Get another chick

2) Put a cuddly toy in with it

They are flock animals- option 1 is the best

When its introduced to the flock, it may stand away, and wonder on its own. I have a 12 week grower and it only plays with ones that are a few weeks younger than it, it is slowly beginning to get used to adult chickens.

Good luck!

3. possumqueen

possumqueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Monroe, North Carolina
    I have tried a couple of times to raise solo chicks, and it was never a success. I was "Mama." Chicks want and NEED their mama or some kind of company 24-7, and they pine away and die after a while when they can't have that.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Put a stuffed animal or feather duster in with it. I think that will make the chick feel more secure.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  5. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Get another chicken, quick! Chickens do NOT do well alone!

6. rcentner

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    I did put a little stuffed toy in with it and it seems to like it, I thought about getting another chick, but I am afraid to. It has a tendon problem and has a wrapped leg. There is someone in my area that has 4week old chicks, but they will be bigger and I am afraid the chick will get picked on. I also can't get her to drink water from anything but a dropper, so I have been checkin on her every 2 hours to be sure it drinks. oh boy, i dont know! I just keep trying to think positive. It seems lively, eats well and poops regularly.

7. rcentner

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    Quote:was that an only chick?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by