how will a mallard cross lay?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cbohn80, Aug 21, 2011.

1. cbohn80

cbohn80 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    nj
    i have pekin, black runner and cayuga hens, along with cayuga and mallard drakes. if i let them breed to expand my flock how will the offspring lay? would production be less than the purebreds since mallards dont lay as often or would it increase due to hybrid vigor. if anyone has had experience please let me know.

2. Duckey1650

Duckey1650 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2011
    I couldn't tell you if they lay better or not being able to inter breed, but even if you don't step up production, at least you will have some cute ducklings. [​IMG]
    I have a mallard/rouen cross pair, four of their offspring, one white crested male and two pekin females, and two brown all in together. I have five females that lay right now and I get about 3 eggs a day.

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    The thing about mutts is that you can never predict what you will get.

That simply means that nobody can tell you.

Even with the purebreds, it is going to depend upon from whom you got them.

4. cbohn80

cbohn80 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    nj
    cute ducklings is nice and all but i want to start my own meet flock. the ones we have now are for eggs and pets but i want their offspring to be for both eggs and meet. i'm hoping crossing them with mallards will increase the broodiness of the pekins and runners so i dont have to incubate but i start want decent egg production so i can add good layers to my pet/egg flock when needed. thanks for the input

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by