How will I know pullet or cockeral?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ameraucana5, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Ameraucana5

Ameraucana5 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2016
    Hey, I ordered chicks from purely poultry and they should arrive at my post office on Wednesday. But I ordered golden laced wyandotte hens and roosters, how will I be able to tell them apart when I get them?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Some hatcheries mark the cockerels with a colored marker on their heads. Otherwise you will have to wait until they start feathering out.

3. Ameraucana5

Ameraucana5 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2016
    Oh, I never thought of that. I thought that they might put a small band on the males foot or something like that, thanks.

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    If you ordered "straight run", they will be probably be unsexed. If you specifically ordered males and then another order of pullets, they should be marked.

If you don't see any marks telling you which sex they are, you will be able to tell the males by around five weeks. Their Wyandotte feathering will be much more vivid and contrasting than the pullets which will appear more drab in comparison. The boys combs will also be a little more pronounced and redder than the girls. By age six weeks, you will know for sure which are cockerels and which are the pullets.

5. switzerchickens

switzerchickens Just Hatched

Jan 5, 2017
    Yorkton, Sk Canada
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone want to take a guess for me? Is Sam (Samantha) a rooster or hen? 4 weeks old now.... it is a cross breed.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by