1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How will I know they are ready to lay eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kostfarm, Jul 9, 2016.

1. kostfarm

kostfarm Just Hatched

Jun 14, 2016
    Charleston, SC
    Our chickens are about 14 weeks old. How will I know they are ready to lay? Do they give you any signs of just when the eggs show up?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Their combs and wattles will get large and turn red. The space between their pelvic bones will expand to two finger width or more. The vent will become moist. They'll start exploring the nest box about a week before the first egg.
    Depending on breed, you probably have 6+ weeks to go.
    That will put you at the end of August. With declining day length, that often adds quite a bit of time.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  3. pauleberly

pauleberly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2016
    East TN
    Mine also started to squatt down when I got near them. After that she laid in 1 week

What kind of chickens do you have? My first one laid week 14, day 4. All my other sexlinks are squatting now on week 15 day 2

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I didn't mention squatting cause they don't all do that. Hens with roosters almost never squat.

5. kostfarm

kostfarm Just Hatched

Jun 14, 2016
    Charleston, SC
    I have 6 sex links and 1 barred rock. 18 weeks old. Haven't seen any squatting

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by