How will I know when my hens are ready to lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ginbart, Jul 13, 2008.

1. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    What do they do different? How do they act? I had one that's 16 weeks today and the other day she was walking around only standing half way up. She looked so funny but no eggs. [​IMG]

Thanks.

2. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

all i notived is they cluck more and the do the crouch when u go to pic them up [​IMG]

3. KsTornado11

KsTornado11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Kansas
    Their combs will get redder,is a major sign. Good luck!

4. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:They will also get looser around the bottom as their pelvic bones spread.
    But the surest sign is when they lay an egg.

5. milleryardchx

milleryardchx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Washington State

Really?! is that all? My americauna is 5 months old and her little bitty comb is red but has for sure not given me the sure sign of an egg in the nest box yet!

6. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC

Really?! is that all? My americauna is 5 months old and her little bitty comb is red but has for sure not given me the sure sign of an egg in the nest box yet!

It may surprise you to know that 6 months is considered fairly normal. We tend to hear about the early layers cause they seem to make better news.
    Hang in there, it aint long. Her abdomen will also start to soften and enlarge a bit. But right now start feeling between her pelvic bones with your hand. If you can fit 2-3 fingers between them, she aint far off.

7. ginbart

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Quote:I HAVE TO DO WHAT [​IMG]

8. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Just be patient. She shouldn't be put on layer feed until at least 18 weeks...some start early, typically, though, they start around 6 months, as Davaroo indicated. I have two that didn't start until well after 8 months - BUT, they both lay XL - Jumbo eggs regularly, so that was my gift for being patient, I guess! [​IMG]

9. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:I HAVE TO DO WHAT [​IMG]

Relax. Hold her in the correct way with your left hand under her keel, her head in the crook of your arm, her legs to either side. Then just put 2-3 fingers together and lay them against her bottom, at the vent. Push gently. If the area is loose and you can feel the bones flex, then she is soon to lay. If it is hard and unyielding, then not. While you're at it, probe her abdomen. It, too, should be soft and pliable.
    These are living chickens, not puffy-foo-foo toys. To do well by them, you owe it to them and yourself to get to know ALL parts of them. You gotta feel your way along on this one.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  10. ginbart

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Ok, I will do it when DH gets home. This way he can see what I need to do and he can help check the other ones. I only have 3 that are 16 weeks so maybe it will be a while. And the rest are only 13 weeks. I thought 21 days was long to have them hatch. 6 months is forever.

Davaroo, I'm going to print out what you told me so I can do it. Thank you and thanks everyone for your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by