how will our chickens behave with each other

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hot wing stables, May 29, 2008.

1. hot wing stables

hot wing stables Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Hello,
    I have4 standard RIR's 3 pullets, and 1 cockerel
    but they are in a dog kennel being somewhat abused by our other bird 3 RIR 1 cock, 2 hens, and we also have one red sex link pullet, 1 barred rock pullet, and 1 Buff Orpington Pullet, how long should we isolatethem, and will the males get along?

2. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    It all just depends. I have 2 roos that get along great and one that doesnt get along and doesnt like me so I'm sellin him. The meanest birds I have are 3 BR pullets that peck others till they draw blood. I'm getting rid of them too. Do you have them all in the kennel? Do they have enough room. They will fight if they are too crowded.

3. hot wing stables

May 28, 2008
    the dog kennel is pretty fair size they aren't crowded, but out standard cockerel has pecked our cock when our cock gets to close to one of the cockerel's pullets.

4. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    How old are they? As long as they arent bloodying each other they are fine.

5. hot wing stables

May 28, 2008
    The pullets and cockerel are about 8-9 weeks old.

6. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Personally, I think your young'uns are too small still to be in with the big birds. They cannot fend for themselves at that age. I think you need to grow your babies out some more still and leave less of a body size difference.

Roosters(especially RIR) are notorious for not getting along, I do not see you roosters ever getting along, with that few hens and that small a space.

I put my cockerels and pullets in fairly early, but I have designed spaces where the little ones can go and get food, water, and shelter, but the adults are too big to get in. Basically they the chicks have their own coop(which the adults cannot enter) and just share the yard. The chicks knew where they were safe, so it worked well.

-Kim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by