How will these breeds get along together?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by happylittlehens, Mar 20, 2013.

1. happylittlehens

happylittlehens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2013
    Utah
    This week I am getting my Leghorn and Americauna pullets. Next week my Buff Orpington pullets will be here. How will these 3 breeds get along together? From what I have read, all 3 of them are pretty docile and well tempered. But I am worried that the BO's will get "picked on". From my research they seem to be the most docile out of the 3. Any advice?? Thanks

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    They'll all be fine. I've had all those breeds together. None of them are particularly bullies.

Are they all the same age? That's the important thing.

If they're from different sources it's best to quarantine.

3. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

I've had ameraucanas and BOs together with no problem, don't have experience with leghorns though.

4. happylittlehens

happylittlehens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2013
    Utah
    Yes they will all be the same age and I'm not exactly sure where they are coming from. We ordered them through our local feed store. The just called today and said the BO's are a little behind and won't be here for another week. Should I find out if they were all hatched in the same place? I'm planning on keeping them in brooders in the garage for a few weeks, should I keep each breed in seperate ones during that time?

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Only if you want to quarantine separate sources. Otherwise get them together so when pecking order time comes there won't be issues.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by