How will they do?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Justhatched, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Justhatched

Justhatched Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    We have four Silkie roosters. One of them is my baby. His name is Prince. Sweet, gentle and stays out of the other roosters squabbles. I am planning on rehoming the other 3 roosters and keeping Prince. He's about 6 months old (same age as the girls). I was thinking of putting Prince with our 12 standard girls. Do you think he will be okay? What are the odds that he will get hurt? I separated the Silkies and girls when the Silkies would run around the brooder. The girls would jump and fly and the Silkies were running from the girls. They see each other daily. They are separated by hardware cloth. What do you think? Will Prince be okay? Possibly in heaven with all those ladies?

2. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

yes he will be fine, there will be some challenging...but he will be okay.[​IMG]

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Rather than putting him in with all of the hens you might try adding the hens to his pen one at a time starting with the most docile, lowest ranked. Carry this gradual introduction out over a several week period so that he gains confidence.

4. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
    I have one itty bitty Frizzle that's with 38 standard sized hens and 1 standard sized rooster. (I have two roos, but the second is down at the "Green Mile" coop) She holds her own with the flock!

5. Justhatched

May 24, 2011
    Quote:Good idea! I think I will try that. Thanks.

6. Justhatched

May 24, 2011
    Quote:Thanks [​IMG]

7. Justhatched

May 24, 2011
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by