How will wiping out my rooster change the dynamics of the flock?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by clifonti, Dec 31, 2008.

1. clifonti

clifonti Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2008
    I'm so torn. My roo, an overly hormonal and agressive 7 month BO, instills fear in everyone. I have to make the decision to keep or get rid of him before someone gets seriously hurt. In my heart I know what I need to do but I count on the boy to watch for predators when the girls are free-ranging and I'm afraid that the social dynamics of the flock will change radically when he goes. My flock of 11 (10 hens and 1 roo) have been together since they were each only 1 day old so their sociology is deeply forged. Please share your flock experiences after deleting the roo--- and tell me how your free-ranging hens do without an overseer. I would like to thoroughly think this through before taking any action and am looking for any feedback or suggestions. [​IMG] By the way, as far as preditors are concerned, the array consists of hawks, coyotes and coons as well as the occasional loose city dog. I look forward to your responses.

2. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, you can always wait a few more months and see how he matures. My roo was kinda squirrely to begin with, but at almost 10 months now, he's mellowed out. Give him some time. He's like a teenager. They can get better. I have exactly the same number you do: 10 to 1.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  3. lalaland

lalaland Overrun With Chickens

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN
    never had a rooster til a couple of months ago, and my hens were fine and happy, til....a dog dug under the fence - electric fence failed as there was a power outage. A rooster would not have saved them, as only 2 of 11 survived.

I've noticed that if I have more than 5 or so chickens, they do not seem to take any notice of the sudden absence of one of the flock, so I'm guessing your hens will be just fine without the roo.
    Hard decision to make!

4. SilkieChick00

SilkieChick00 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2008
    Des Moines, Iowa
    My hen's haven't been free ranging because of the terrible weather.
    I did place my 2 Silkie Roo's about a week ago. One Roo was so bad I couldn't even collect eggs. The other was a sweetie, but he was pecking on my hens. Since I've placed the 2 Roos things have been awesome. Again, I can't tell you anything on free ranging. Just that it is so peaceful and calm out in the coop now. They are laying more now too. I'm not sure if that has to do with the stress level going down for them or what. I was getting 2-3 eggs a day if I was lucky. I've now being getting 4 each day (out of 5 hens).

5. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I was in exactly the same position you are last year. I had one great Rooster and ten hens that all hatched the same day and grew up together. He became very aggressive to my children so he had to be rehomed. He was such a great protector, it was hard to get rid of him but my children come first.

One of my hens stepped up and became the head hen and pretty much took over the Roos spot in the flock. I do believe a Roo is the best protector of the flock (well, at least most Roos) but my flock got through just fine until my 2 new Roos grew up this year.

6. clifonti

clifonti Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2008
    Thanks for your posts. I'll keep everything you've said in mind as I think on this. I'll let you know what I decide and how it goes. Have a happy, healthy & prosperous New Year all!

7. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

That was just about the age my BO roo started getting overly aggressive. I used some of Rooster Red's behavior modification techniques and now he (the BO roo, not RR!) has matured, the hormones have leveled out, and he is not the LEAST bit aggressive. Please give him more time, and check out the behavior mod page and give those suggestions a try. They worked like a charm with my guys, and I had four at the time, and 2 of them were going through puberty and having the hormone issues. They all do fine now, and Sarge (the big RIR) is still alpha roo and in charge, and the others know it and pay heed. [​IMG] Your guy may just need some more maturing time. I do LOVE having my roos around; they take good care of the hens and I don't have to worry quite as much about them while they're freeranging in my yard. They divide up into bands and there are enough roos (3 now; I lost one to a crop impaction [​IMG] ) to watch over all the girls as they explore their territory. I would much prefer having at least one roo than having a roo-less group of girls...

8. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    the only difference will be no fertile eggs.

a rooster is no protection to a flock of hens in times of attack.

Your egg production might even go up without the rooster picking on the hens..

9. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    a rooster is no protection to a flock of hens in times of attack.

Obviously a Rooster isn't going to win an attack by many predators but they certainly can protect their girls from some. They are often great at announcing hawks and give the call for their girls to run to cover, my Rooster has chased off a cat that was stalking my chick and he has chased off a medium size dog when the dog got too close to his girls.

And, I love listening to a rooster find a special treat and call his ladies over to give it to them. [​IMG]

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Obviously a Rooster isn't going to win an attack by many predators but they certainly can protect their girls from some. They are often great at announcing hawks and give the call for their girls to run to cover, my Rooster has chased off a cat that was stalking my chick and he has chased off a medium size dog when the dog got too close to his girls.

And, I love listening to a rooster find a special treat and call his ladies over to give it to them. [​IMG]

I totally agree with Chirpy. I consider my roosters to be excellent protection for my flock. They have never failed to warn the girls of danger. There are plenty of stories here on BYC of people's roosters doing their best to protect the flock, even to the point of losing their lives.
    Clifonti, IMO your flock would do just fine without a roo, but it very well could be as ebony said. A teenage roo can be a real pain, but mine settled down just as ebony's did.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by