How worried about histoplasmosis shoud I be?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bakinghomesteader, Apr 16, 2009.

1. bakinghomesteader

bakinghomesteader Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2009
    central Illinois
    Hi all. I am getting ready to put my babies in their coop. How worried do I need to be about histo? Will a mask be ok to prevent?

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Yes, wear your mask when cleaning. I had histo once. It wasn't fun.

3. bakinghomesteader

Mar 13, 2009
    central Illinois
    What were your symptoms? Did they give you any pointers on prevention?

4. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I am more suceptible than others. I had turberculosis as a child, and my lungs are scarred. Most people would probably not have as much of an issue with it. For me it was like a really bad and lingering chest cold. That's what I thought it was until I read about histo on this board. By the time I discovered what it really was, I was almost recovered so the Dr left me to heal on my own. If I remember correctly, it's a fungus in the poo. Then when you clean the coop, all the dust becomes airborn and you inhale it. The mask solves the problem.

5. Cheep a'lil Talk a'lil

Cheep a'lil Talk a'lil Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Sequim, WA
    Wow, this is a very interesting thread. I've heard of Histoplasmosis but never really gave it a second thought until now. Your question made me curious so I googled it.

Good information to have since I want chickens and have have one kid who is diagnosed asmatic, another that I'm sure will be diagnosed with it soon and two that get cold induced asthma.
    I will make sure they all wear mask when cleaning the coop (if it ever gets built [​IMG] )

Thanks for asking the question [​IMG] Learn something new everyday.

6. bakinghomesteader

Mar 13, 2009
    central Illinois
    Well, I just wondered because I take immunosuppressives for my myasthenia gravis. I will be cautious. Thanks!

7. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
  8. applefalls

applefalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Cockeysville, MD
    My dad had histoplasmosis from when he tore down some of the most-disgusting-coops-ever at an old farm plot he was renovating.

When I announced to my family that I was getting chickens, my father started with, "You'll get histoplasmosis," [​IMG] very much in the same way as the Christmas Story characters told the main character, "You'll shoot your eye out, kid!" whenever he announced that he wanted a Red Rider BB gun.

From what I've read, clean living conditions for your flock is the best prevention.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  9. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:It was right after the dogs killed my birds last fall. The dogs not only killed my birds, but they tore up everything in the coop and spilled 2 barrels of feed on the floor. It was a mess. I was literally on my hands and knees trying to sweep up the mess. All of the dry feed down made a lot of dust. There must have been enough spores on the floor to be kicked up with the feed dust. I had never had a problem before. Now I have masks when I clean. I probably was getting a cold anyway. When I get a cold, the old TB scars get sore and are most likely enflamed. That just created a perfect storm for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by