How would i integrate a rooster into my mini flock?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by aubreynoramarie, Jan 16, 2011.

1. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    Would the girls pick on him the way they pick on new girls? Would he pick on my girls?

i saw an ad on craigslist for a roo that lost an eye to a more dominant roo, and am thinking of taking him on for fertile eggs, but i dont know. my coop and run are made for five hens, maybe a roo would be too big, or maybe i could just expand the run a few more feet.

but im worried about how they'd get along... advice?

2. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    You can add him like any other new chicken.

Some people say quarantine for 30 days. Some say pens seperated with wire so they can see eachother.

Yes, there will be scuffles int he begining. The hens may gang up on poor one eye.

3. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    but if they picked on him...would he mate with them?

4. RareBreedFancier

RareBreedFancier Surrounded by Broodies

Nov 5, 2010
    Australia :)
    Hi, that's nice of you thinking of taking in the roo.

Hens usually accept a rooster pretty well. There might be a bit of flapping and squawking but it should settle quickly.

Without knowing the size of your run I can't tell you if it's big enough to add him.

What is important though is you have somewhere else to put him when he first arrives, a quarantine pen. You want to make sure he's healthy and free of lice and worms before you let him join your girls. You don't want to introduce any diseases.

Hope that helps [​IMG]

5. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    and would he get all.....roostery mean at them?

6. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    Quote:thank you, yes i have had to introduce new girls, so have had to make a quarentine pen...then another pen that they can see eachother in...etc....

the run is 3 feet by 20 and opens up into a ten foot by six-seven foot area. they are let out on evenings and weekends to free range the yard.

7. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    and would he get all.....roostery mean at them?

[​IMG] I don't know why I chuckled at that. Depends on the rooster. Yes, he will try to mate them no matter how cranky the ladies are. It is not emotional, it is instinctual.​

8. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    lol awesome

9. RareBreedFancier

RareBreedFancier Surrounded by Broodies

Nov 5, 2010
    Australia :)
    Sounds like you have plenty of room. I'd go for it, my girls have always been happy to have male company around. [​IMG]

At my old place if I introduced new hens the old girls would give them the evil eye through the wire like 'What are YOU doing there?!?' but a roo would be greeted with interest, 'Hi! Your new!' and lots of preening [​IMG]

It's fun to watch them all interact, that's for sure.

10. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

On reading the subject, my twisted mind went immediately to cannibalism. Perhaps that wasn't the "integration" intended....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by