How would I sex a cayuga?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by alaskaduckgirl, Jun 11, 2009.

1. alaskaduckgirl

alaskaduckgirl In the Brooder

Jun 11, 2009
    I am new to ducks (have 3) and 1 of them is a cayuga duckling he/she is 3 weeks old, I don't know how to go about sexing "it". "It" is the only one that I cannot figure out my other 2 are male and female, so I am hoping this one is a girl. [​IMG] Thanks!

2. This is a great question... I'm eager to know! I know it's usually by the quack, but there's also some feather identifiers, (curled tail= boy) but Cayugas are all the same color... [​IMG] waiting...

3. Do you only have one? If not, compare it to the others. Females will be smaller, have smaller feet and their bodies will not be as long. If not...I'm not sure...you'll just have to wait & see if it develops a curled tail feather or not.

4. alaskaduckgirl

alaskaduckgirl In the Brooder

Jun 11, 2009
    I only have 1 cayuga. So I guess I should wait to see if he has a curled feather:).

5. alaskaduckgirl... Where did you get our Cayuga from? Do you live in the valley? WHO ARE YOU?!?!!? (this is a just kidding question) Inquiring minds want to know.... [​IMG] I'm hoping to get Cayugas in the future, I just haven't got the setup for them yet. I have a big (1,000 gallons)pond, but no building...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: