How would i tell the difference?!

DUCKGIRL89

Songster
8 Years
Apr 28, 2011
TN
so for breeding season, im gonna be separating my breeds early. i have a small pen for my ancona pair, and im gonna use the normal duck pen for the welsh harlequin quad, but i dont have one for the rouen trio! could they go with my moms chickens for a month or two? how would i tell the difference from the chicken eggs and the duck eggs for hatching?!
th.gif

thanks in advance!

Duck eggs are probably going to be bigger and have a different feel on their eggs

Quote:
wow! you answered really fast!
ep.gif
thanks! BTW she has RIRs, would their eggs be a differnt color?

They aren't nice and smooth looking

my duck eggs were ALWAYS smooth looking
hu.gif

Yeah, ducks don't lay brown eggs

ep.gif
i didnt know RIRs lay brown eggs,...........cool!​

Her RIR should lay tan to brown. Your Rouen should feel waxy/smooth. Her chickens won't enjoy having the ducks with them for long with the water mess they will make and potential for the drake to harass the chickens.

Quote:
the drake is a VERY easy going guy. he doesnt even harass the duck hens. i dont think he will bother with the chickens. the ducks did live with these RIR for a while, the chickens just ignored them. and they stayed well away from the duck kiddie pool. i just hope they will be like that again
fl.gif

Quote:
My ducks hang out with my chickens day & night without any issues. The ducks greet the chickens every morning when they come down from the coop. The ducks remain in the run from the time the chickens go to bed until we take them out once we get home from work. They love eachother. The drake even cleans up their fluffy butts. I watch him do it, the chickens just stand there while he cleans them up. There's no fighting or anything going on with them.

Last edited:
Quote:
the drake is a VERY easy going guy. he doesnt even harass the duck hens. i dont think he will bother with the chickens. the ducks did live with these RIR for a while, the chickens just ignored them. and they stayed well away from the duck kiddie pool. i just hope they will be like that again
fl.gif

I thought I had a very calm drake but I am finding that you truly will never know what they will do during mating season. I would watch them carefully to make sure nothing terrible will happen!!! And yes my leg horns eggs are white like the ducks but there is a VERY large difference in shape and size
smile.png
!!! You will know for sure with RIR's since they lay a light brown. But really size will give it away without a problem.

Back
Top Bottom