How would one design such a coop?

nuthatched

Orneriness & Co.
Premium Feather Member
Nov 9, 2019
God's Country, Az
I found this art work in one of my vintage kids books. I think building a coop like this is possible, probably pretty expensive and requires skills and tools I don't possess but had anyone seen a similar coop?
Probably not with a chimney.
I'm thinking feeder at ground level, the nest boxes at main floor area and roosts in what pertains to be an attic.
20210201_122719.jpg

Last edited:
Very doable coop, and one that someone with limited building skills should be able to excel at building. The mistakes will only add to the charm.

This could be built by simply stacking boxes. What were you thinking in terms of size, how many birds were you thinking of housing in it?

I found this art work in one of my vintage kids books. I think building a coop like this is possible, probably pretty expensive and requires skills and tools I don't possess but had anyone seen a similar coop?
I'm thinking feeder at ground level, the nest boxes at main floor area and roosters in what pertains to be an attic.

Cute coop idea!
Yes, I think that could work well.

But you might want to have a talk with your spell check or autocorrect. Roosters are male chickens, roosts are the things you want to put in the attic for the chickens to sleep on at night :lol:

Cute coop idea!
Yes, I think that could work well.

But you might want to have a talk with your spell check or autocorrect. Roosters are male chickens, roosts are the things you want to put in the attic for the chickens to sleep on at night :lol:
Yep, ol' auto correct strikes again! I corrected it twice before posting but my auto correct is mule headed, I've having the hardest time with it today.

What makes you think a coop with this design won't be sturdy? Have you ever perused the coop section in the articles? there's plenty of fancy coops in there.
Very doable coop, and one that someone with limited building skills should be able to excel at building. The mistakes will only add to the charm.

This could be built by simply stacking boxes. What were you thinking in terms of size, how many birds were you thinking of housing in it?
I have 12 large fowl, I don't think I'll ever have more than that unless I get some bantams. It would be a tall sucker, so if someone lived where you can't have out buildings over xyz, you might be at a loss. I don't think it would need to be over 8 feet tall though. Main box area would be 8x8, maybe 3 feet tall for the ground level, then a half or maybe U shaped 3/4 floor above that in front of the nest boxes to add floor space and to act as a poop board for the roosts.
The attic area would be smaller, maybe 6x6 with 3 roost bars across.
I need some graph paper.
I can use pallet wood for most of it too.

If you build a square box, 8'x8', complete with all 6 sides then just 4 walls set on top to resemble the second floor, with the walls sloped in however you would like them to be and an access area between floors cut into the top of the bottom box. Top it with a pitched roof with some roosts built in. If you build each level 32" tall you will end up with a coupe that is 8' tall. Ad some roll out nest boxes and some clean out doors, or even complete sides on hinges, and you would have a neat little coupe.

If you build a square box, 8'x8', complete with all 6 sides then just 4 walls set on top to resemble the second floor, with the walls sloped in however you would like them to be and an access area between floors cut into the top of the bottom box. Top it with a pitched roof with some roosts built in. If you build each level 32" tall you will end up with a coupe that is 8' tall. Ad some roll out nest boxes and some clean out doors, or even complete sides on hinges, and you would have a neat little coupe.
Yeah, I think that would work too.
It would kinda look like an old country church.
Maybe I can make it in three attachable parts so if I move, I can take the monster with me.

I'm thinking feeder at ground level, the nest boxes at main floor area and roosts in what pertains to be an attic.
View attachment 2515626
Two words:
Im
Practical

It's artwork for a reason.
Cleaning, ventilating, maintaining and most importantly ENTERING such an adorable structure would be the stuff of chronic nightmares.

Back
Top Bottom