How would sand work with silkies?

Tanichca

Sparkle Magnet
May 6, 2009
Akron, Ohio
Hey all! I'm planning my new silkie coop, and would like to use sand for it (better drainage) but would sand interfere with the fine foot feathering of my show silkies?? Thanks!
big_smile.png

Hi, In coop or run? Have sand in run...shavings in coop. Love the set up. New Bantam coop (including Silkies) will be same. Sand outside, shavings inside. Not a poop scooper, don't understand that theory so I use shaving inside and just turn it over occassionally. Outide, with sand...no need to scoop poop...chickens turn it over and rain does the rest. Havn't had a problem yet.
Erik

Well, there wont be much of an actual coop, just an area, covered on three sides and the roof, but with one side open to the run area. No floor. Inside, there will be nest boxes, perches, etc. Could sand be used for the entire ground of both coop and run, with shavings in the boxes? I'm more of just concerned for the state of my birds' feet, as good foot feathering is important in silkies.

I have silkies and they have shavings in the coop part quick is open to the run as well. I put a board up to stop the shavings going everywhere as they have sand out in the run.

Don't the silkies sleep on the floor? Mine do and I would think the sand is not warm and cozy enough.

Back
Top Bottom