How would someone go about creating this?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BirdNut, Jan 7, 2011.

1. BirdNut

BirdNut Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2010
    Suprise, Arizona
    I've been wondering if creating a Pyle Silkie would be possible, and how one would go about doing it. I looked around for some pictures of Pyle birds and recreated it into a Silkie for you to get an idea of what I'm thinking.

Rooster concept:
    [​IMG]

Hen concept:
    [​IMG]

2. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    True Red Pyle is Red Duckwing ( BBRed) diluted by Dom White. And Silkies dont come in Red Duckwing so the closest thing you could do is use Partridge Silkies and breed in Dom. White from a breed that carrys it and keep breeding the White patterned ones back to the pure Partridge Silkies till you get there. Sonoran Silkies is working on Dun Silkies and bred the Dun in from Dun Polish and her pics I've seen of what she has at this point look pretty good. So then you could use Buff Laced Polish to breed in the Dom White. and keep breeding to the Partridge.

This may have already been done somewhere though, I think I remember a thread from just a little white back about Red Pyle Silkies.

3. BirdNut

Sep 13, 2010
    Suprise, Arizona
    Thanks for all of that wonderful information!

Somebody ought to make a BBRed Silkie, though. That'd be gorgeous.

4. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

It would definitely be pretty!

5. Henferno

Henferno Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Waushara County, WI
    Well, maybe... you could cross a RP OEGB with a white silkie, and hope for the best... XD

6. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Quote:A Red Pyle OEGB to a Partridge Silkie would be better and would result in half Pyle half Duckwing.

7. Henferno

Henferno Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Waushara County, WI
    Quote:A Red Pyle OEGB to a Partridge Silkie would be better and would result in half Pyle half Duckwing.

Ah!... according to the Chicken Calculator... that's right. I wouldn't have guessed! lol.

8. BirdNut

Sep 13, 2010
    Suprise, Arizona
    Unfortunately, the silkie-feathered gene is recessive and therefore the result would be a hard-feathered, partially crested, and very oddly colored bird.

9. BirdNut

Sep 13, 2010
    Suprise, Arizona
    [​IMG]

Can you imagine having one of these? [​IMG]

10. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga

Ah!... according to the Chicken Calculator... that's right. I wouldn't have guessed! lol.

Yep, its not a good idea to use White Silkies in any color project becuase they are recessive white and you dont know what they are masking. OEBG X RedPyle would work too, but using polish would give you the crest and beards too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by