How would these mixed breeds turn out?

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by owlflights, Apr 2, 2016.

1. owlflights

owlflights Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2015
    SE Iowa
    I have an Australorp roo. Our hens are barred Rock, buff Orpington, RIR, and Welsummer. I am wondering what the chicks would be like if I hatched out any of them. Would they be much different? Would they have different dominant traits etc? I don't know much about genetics.

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

The Australorp X Barred Rock will produce Black Sex Linked offspring. They'll be slightly atypical from the traditional sex link in that they will lack any red highlights; instead, females will be pure black and cockerels will be single barred. At hatch all cockerels will have a white dot on their heads.

Australorp X Buff Orpington will produce black birds with varying amounts of buff on the upper body; buff tends to be one of the most dominant colors when paired with black, and many come out half and half buff and black, with buff down the head, neck and shoulders sometimes extending into the breast and saddle.

Australorp X RIR will produce black offspring with red leakage in the hackle of pullets and hackle, saddle, and wing bows of cockerels.

Australorp X Welsummer will produce black offspring... potentially with red leakage but I wouldn't expect a lot.

3. Chicken girl 15

Chicken girl 15 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2015
    harpursville ny
    @QueenMisha you seem to know a lot about genetics. Silver spitzhauben roo with black astrolorp hen, white leghorn hen and production red hen. Also same 3 hens (which is actually 18, 6 of each breed) with a gold spitzhauben roo? There is also a lavender orpington boy but I'm not sure he's figured out how to "be a roo yet" . He's only 7 months. He mounts but not for more than 2-3 seconds.

I already have one batch from the mix. 12 hatched 10 have lived to reach 1 week. If I post pics do you think you could help identify?

4. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

I started researching genetics about a year ago. Most of what I've learned has been online but I'm also working my way through Genetics of the Fowl by F.B. Hutt.

Silver Spitzhauben over Australorp will produce black chicks, possibly with some white leakage in the hackle (I'd consider leakage of this cross very unpredictable). SS X White Leghorn will produce mostly white chicks, probably with some minor black leakage. SS X RIR is... unpredictable. I'd expect generally Silver or lemon-creme type coloration with very messy Spangling/black markings and red leakage. Should be very interesting, actually, if very muddled.

Gold Spitzhauben X BA will produce generally black chicks, probably with gold leakage. GS X White Leghorn will produce white chicks with a lot of gold and probably black leakage. GS X RIR will produce gold/red birds with potential muddled black markings and leakage.

Lavender is a recessive black dilution gene. Only Lavender X Lavender or Lavender X Lavender carrier will produce Lavender offspring; Lavender X anything else will act like black, though all offspring will carry Lavender.

I can take a look at them and do my best but it is difficult to tell much of anything from chick down coloration. It's usually at 6-8 weeks when they develop their juvenile plumage that they become easy to identify. If you do take pictures you would also do well to post them in the "What Breed or Gender is This?" forum for second, third, and so on opinions, as I can't and won't claim to be correct 100% of the time.

5. Chicken girl 15

May 28, 2015
    harpursville ny
    Neat that means there is potential for some very interesting chickens. I will post pics in about 5 weeks.

6. Chicken girl 15

May 28, 2015
    harpursville ny
    [​IMG] my 2 week pic of a red hen crossed to a gold spitzhauben roo. Its beautiful with wonderful color.

7. Chicken girl 15

May 28, 2015
    harpursville ny
    [​IMG]same chick love the wings.

8. owlflights

owlflights Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2015
    SE Iowa
    [​IMG]

If any one is interested, these are the results of the mixes. The hatch ended up producing 18 chicks total; I kept 5 and gave the rest to a friend. I gave away the sex link boys immediately. I picked three little black ones with white fronts and two black ones with some red/brown leakage (as chicks). The leakage ones have turned grey instead of red.

1 person likes this.
  9. Little Fuzzy

Little Fuzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2016
    Queen Misha you really are the Queen of info, and I love my Supernatural Boys too. Deans my favorite!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by