How would this turn out? j giant x indian game

Meredith MMH

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 19, 2012
Dorset, in the UK
Hi
smile.png

I am thinking of hatching some jersey giants and indian/cornish game large fow.
I would be keeping a jersy giant cockerel and the indian game hens to breed from so I would get a large bodie table bird that would take a bit longer to mature than the super fast indian game. With this mating would the jersey giant cockerel be to big for the indian hens ?

I've never realy seen ether off them close up so don't kow how big they are
idunno.gif

Are Jersey Giants about the same size as brahmas?
I could realy do with some help.
fl.gif

Thanks, Meredith

Last edited:
I have no idea!
hu.gif

But I admire your innovative breeding plans! I ordered Jersey Giants this year. Black and white and some White Crested Polish. I too plan to breed them together for a good table bird... a little faster and heck - they outta look very entertaining!! I want to enjoy my day in the field giggiling at my creations!

I don't see why it wouldn't work as long as your Rooster doesn't outweigh your hen by more than 3 or so pounds for squish factor. Keeping his toe nails trimmed will help also. (don't forget an egg comes out of there!)
ep.gif

How hungry are you going to get waiting for these chicks to have enough meat on them for a meal ?
pop.gif

I homestead and can't get to slaughtering until the garden is done and frozen foods get canned to make freezer room. Even after the last frost I have peppers that I chop down from the stem and laundry baskets of tomatoes I keep in the wood shop until I can get to them. I have an unusually long growing season for birds due to this. I fed 60+ birds for a few months longer than needed this year so this kind of fits my time schedule.
I processed birds in December this year that I got April 1st. I should get my birds second week in March this year.
Not only that chilling birds in cold winter air is faster and the scalding water feels so good! I do have to use hot water in my wiz-bang though. I had feathers freezing to the sides when I tried to get by without it.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I am in the middle of this exact breeding project. I will find out come spring as my birds, black jersey giants and dark cornish are breeding size now. Of course its winter now. For this cross you gotta have patience.

I have a 10 pound orphington over some ameracauna which are probably 4 pounds. They seem to be doing fine except the one that is missing feather (not because of the rooster). She has been scratched once.

I'm currently hatching out some birds for a similar slow grow get to em when I get to em project. Though I hope for a decent eater by 18 weeks.
I have the Orphington over some barred rock, barred barnyards, production reds. Then I also have a couple red broilers that just started laying who is covered by a black broiler and in the pen with the orphington but I see the broiler mating them and not the orphington. Have these in the incubator so I'll let you know how it goes. Ordered some barnvelder and marans eggs to try and get a nice size roo out of the batch. But he must be quiet as I'm in a neighborhood situation. My orphington was chosen by noise. His two brothers were prettier but they were too loud and one tried to spur my daughter. His name is Nugget (for chicken nugget) because we thought the black one would be dinner and the cucoo would be a keeper. He was just smarter LOL.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting Sagecock!! It would be realy interetsing to know what you get, I've not been able to try this as I don't have the space anymore but I'm thinking about doing it in the future.

Thanks, Meredith

I found four eggs from my jg x ig three weeks ago. I thought they froze as it has been super cold. put them in the bator and two hatched today. I didnt think they would as they were the small first eggs out of these hens.

Hi
smile.png

I am thinking of hatching some jersey giants and indian/cornish game large fow.
I would be keeping a jersy giant cockerel and the indian game hens to breed from so I would get a large bodie table bird that would take a bit longer to mature than the super fast indian game. With this mating would the jersey giant cockerel be to big for the indian hens ?

I've never realy seen ether off them close up so don't kow how big they are
idunno.gif

Are Jersey Giants about the same size as brahmas?
I could realy do with some help.
fl.gif

Thanks, Meredith
I wonder how this worked out if you ever had a success clutch I have a Gigante and I have jerseys and I have brahmas so I'm curious is this was a successful take

Back
Top Bottom