How would you add onto this coop? **added pic of possible design**

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gale65, Aug 4, 2011.

1. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

DH is beginning to cave. We ordered 12 chicks thinking we'd probably lose some and planned to keep only 6. We have 12 10 week old chicks now and I can't decide which ones to get rid of and don't want to decide. I have given dh the puppy dog eyes enough times now and he is thinking of adding onto the coop even though he hates projects like this. The coop is about 4 x 6 so the space would have to be doubled or close to it (he wants to add 3 feet to make it 4 x 9 but I'd like to aim for 4 sq ft per bird if possible). The kicker is that this would cut down on room in the run. The run was built around the coop so it would be nearly impossible to take it out. The run is 10 x 24.

So anyway the coop pics are on my blog here:
    http://lookslikechickenscratch.blogspot.com/2011/06/coop-before-and-after.html

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If you go with 4x9 you're only taking 18 sq ft out of a 240 sq ft run, not a lot, assuming my math is correct. I'm guessing you will add onto a long wall and slant the roof down from the top of the wall, under the original roof. Whether you can go out 3' or 4' will probably depend on how much roof slant that will give you. It's good that you have a metal roof as weather will slide off better.

I strongly agree that bigger is always better. But I suspect that in a coop that size, they will be OK, if they go out every day. It may take partially covering the run (if it isn't) to accomplish this when there is snow.

If it helps, you may not have to remove an interior wall completely, only cut a large enough hole that they can pass through freely.

3. mystang89

mystang89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Louisville
    If you go with 4x9 you're only taking 18 sq ft out

I thought you measured Sq Ft by taking length times width so wouldn't that make the 4 x 9 36 sq ft?​

4. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I was figuring the additional space taken from the pen. The coop is 4x6 so changing it to 4x9 is adding a 6x3 addition.

Certainly I might not have been clear, though.

5. oneofseven

oneofseven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    Augusta, Ga
    I did not see your run, but you can expand the run by cutting the fence (metal sheers) and making a doorway to a larger run. This would allow space for the coop to expand.

6. mystang89

mystang89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Louisville
    Ah, I see what your saying. I was misunderstanding, thinking that there was a new coop being built in addition to the original one and the new coop was 4 x 9.

7. weeders n feeders

weeders n feeders Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Charleston,SC
    What about adding on a portion that is raised above ground? Would give them a covered daytime space for food and daytime rains in addition to coop roosting space at night.

8. Erin~TheChickenLover

Erin~TheChickenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Arkansas River Valley
    If I were you, I might actually make another coop. It would probably be easier than adding on, and pless your coop is sooo adorable I would not want to mess with it or change it.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  9. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:You know, now that you've said this, a new 4x9 coop still would leave a little over 200 in the run. Or if the OP decided to build a separate coop, maybe at the other end of the run, it could be another 4x6 one. Lots of people have more than one coop opening onto one run. One advantage is, if you ever decide to breed selectively, it's simple enough to erect one fence (even of chicken wire) for a couple of months to clear out the mixed sperm and get purebreds, then remove again if desired.

Also, it looks like part of the coop is being used for storage. Building or adding something for this purpose might be simpler than another coop, and would enlarge the present coop. If I did this, I'd add a small cabinet type thing high up in the present coop to store little stuff like bags of grit, then have a sort of bin with a hinged, slanted roof on the outside, big enough to hold two galvanized garbage cans.

10. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Hmmm, just a thought I don't know if your space would allow this or not. Maybe you should purchase another coop just like the one you got. Put the new coop just out side your run and attach the run to the side of the coop that has the little door for the chickens to go out into to the run. I know you would probably have to cut into the side of your run and attach it securely to the new coop but, I am thinking probably easier then trying to add on to a current coop. I am thinking in the long run it will look better and it won't take away from space in your run. Make sure to secure it good predators stink. [​IMG]

Good luck,
    Michelle

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by