How would you cook 3 young roos?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by LilRalphieRoosmama, Nov 30, 2008.

1. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    I was fortunate enough to be the recipient of 3 free 6 month old bantam roosters yesterday and they are in the fridge. Not alot of meat on them, so I'm thinking soup? Any other ideas or is that about all they are good for?

And...I'm not a very good cook, so this is a dumb question: If I make soup, should I leave them whole or cut them into pieces? Or doesn't it matter?

2. cackle

cackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Cindy,

I have done it both ways and I usually at least cut the bird in half. I would then put in a large pot cover the roos with water add a small onion, stalk of celery, garlic and small amount of salt and pepper. I bring to a boil and then simmer until tender. I then pull out the chicken and pick the meat off. Put the bones back in and cook another hour or three for a rich broth. I take the meat out so the flavor does not cook out.

Strain the broth and throw the bone and vggies to the chickens.

Good luck on your soup I am sure it will be wonderful.

3. LilRalphieRoosmama

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Thanks! I'll cut them in half and give it a try. My soup usually has no taste; probably add too much water.

4. cackle

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:Yes, You want to just cover the bird. The longer you cook it the better. Like I said pull out the meat when tender or it gets tasteless. I have even let the bone cook overnight in the slow cooker. Ended up with a dark rich beautiful stock.

5. cackle

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    How did the roos turn out?

6. LilRalphieRoosmama

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    I just KNEW you were going to ask me that! It LOOKED wonderful - beautiful, yellow, rich!!! It SMELLED wonderful!!! Just like my Grandma's soup used to smell! But it tasted like...water...[​IMG]

I split the roos and just covered them. I simmered them with two onions, celery, peppercorns, and a couple bay leaves. Sounds good so far, huh? Then I went to the store and was gone longer than anticipated. Came home, took the chicken out, added salt, marjoram, thyme, garlic (didn't have any so had to buy some), more celery, carrots, pepper and who knows what else. Kept adding and let it boil down. Picked the chicken off the bones and threw it in. Added a small can of diced tomatoes and let it cook some more. By 11pm it wasn't too bad, but still nowhere near what it should have been. I just don't know what the secret is [​IMG]

7. cackle

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I have no idea. It sounds like you did everything right. You just barely cover with water to your stock should have been rich and tasty. Maybe we need MissPrissy to the rescue.

8. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I had the same problem with my cockerel soup. I had to salt the crap out of it, but I just took it as 'it's not supposed to taste like nasty condensed soup.' LOL

9. Poohbear

Poohbear On a Time Out

Nov 12, 2008
    Texas
    Boil the chicken in water until it is tender. Keep the broth in the pot and de-bone the meat. Put the meat in broth and add, potatoes (fresh if you have them, canned if you don't. Veg-all, white hominy, sweet corn, cut green beans and carrots. Let this cook for a few minutes then add one small can of tomato paste to taste ( I like Contadina). One small can of rotel tomatoes (with Jalepenos). Stirring occaisional, add some Tex-Joy staek seasoning and a tablespoon of Chili powder. Salt and pepper to taste let it cook for approximately 45 minutes to an hour. While this is cooking, put a pan (cast iron skillet) of corn bread ( I use "Corn Kits" brand) in the oven until brown on top. Makes a DELICIOUS stew for a cold winter day. If there is any left over, put it in zip lock baggies and set them in the freezer in portions that you will eat later. Take them out, pour them in a bowl and heat in microwave. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by