How would you describe this guy's genetics?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by seventreesfarm, Mar 8, 2013.

1. seventreesfarm

seventreesfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2012
    Everson, WA
    I'm trying to learn about chicken genetics so I can work on a project flock, and I'd love to be able to put this roo in some calculations. But I don't know how to sort out his genetic notations. I know he's got blue or black copper marans for a dad, but his mom could be EE, ameraucana, or olive egger, so a mixed bag for sure.

[​IMG]

2. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009

from what I see this rooster is ER/eb(ER birchen from BCM and eb is from the EE mother, most EEs are eb based).. S/s+(sex linked Silver from EE mother/ sex linked s+ from the BCM father), Bl/bl+(from BCM father) I also see Co/co+(Columbian from EE mother) O/o+(blue egg gene from mother) P/p+(Pea comb from mother)

so his genetic make up is ER/eb S/s+ Bl/bl+ Co/co+ O/o+ P/p+

sinse he coming from a BCM father and EE mother he is a Male Olive egger, if crossed back to BCM hens he would create more Olive eggers

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  3. seventreesfarm

Jun 14, 2012
    Everson, WA
    Thank you!

I'm just getting ready to put some eggs in the incubator that are him crossed with cuckoo marans and welsummers, plus one olive pullet egg that is from a pretty blue peacombed hen with a wee bit of gold showing near her head. She may be his sibling, but I can't resist.

I'm also hatching some b/b/s marans eggs and some black ameraucana & will try some crosses with him from that batch eventually.

4. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    you know if you cross him to the cuckoo maran hens you could be the first one to start "The Autosexing Olive egger" breeding project..

how? ER and sexlink Barring is a good way to autosex chicks at hatch.. but both genes need to be on homozygous state. so you need a ER/ER B/B rooster mated to ER/ER B/- hen to give you sexlinks..

your roo mated to the cuckoo maran hens will yield sexlinks. Black females(black at hatch) and Barred Males(black chicks with yellow/cream headspot)

how to go about it? Mate the Barred Males with Pea combs(they have 95% chance of having the blue egg gene, that when add it to the dark brown genes found on marans will produce Olive eggers) mate them back to Black Copper maran hens. this will yield Barred ER Birchen Males and Barred ER Birchen females(25% of all the hatch). Also normal Birchen males/Females(25% total hatch,no good for autosexing) Also Cuckoo Males/Females(no good for sexing, at least not as good as autosexing breeds) you will also get 50% Black/Blue males/Females(25% of total hatch, solid colored black or blue, not good for autosexing)..

Select the Barred Birchen males and Females(they are know as golden/silver cuckoo marans) mate them together and be in the look out for double barred males with pea combs..

how would a double barred Birchen male looks like?

5. seventreesfarm

Jun 14, 2012
    Everson, WA
    I'd love to get some golden cuckoo olive eggers!

We're also selecting for conformation using the Buckeye program from ALBC, since we want a good laying ability as well. This weekend well be selling off any birds that don't meet our standards, except for a few favorites.

Im really curious to see what this roo's babies look like, and also to start building our breeding stock with the BCMs and Ameraucanas. The info you've shared will keep me busy plotting future pairings until I can see what hatches in 3 weeks.

One of the cuckoo marans hens I have in with the roo above also has head feathers that are nearly birchen looking. Her conformation isn't the best, but I like the coloring, so gave it a try. I didn't trap nest to separate her eggs from the rest though, so hopefully if the color is a good combination with the roo, I'll be able to tell the chicks apart.

She looks a lot like the upper bird in this pic, but with a little softer barring like the bottom hen.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  6. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    Awesome keep us updated on the "Autosexing Olive Egger" or the Olive egger Golden Cuckoo Maran" project

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by