1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How would you detour hawks ??????????????????

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3, Sep 24, 2011.

1. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

<3 N.C Chicken Chick <3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    I've Heard that hanging c.d's scares them off, and that tying fishing line around the pen, tarps? If the pen is entirely coverd with wire. Anything else?? [​IMG]

2. madmantrapper

madmantrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Maryland
    Hawks are a real problem. They can attack fast and furious. A large red tail can carry off an average size hen. The DNR says to hang a Owl on the corner of the coop but they scare chickens as well. I have heard that the fishing line would work but have never tried it.

3. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    So I know this is bad but I have an semi open air pen tarps cover sections of it, while I was at school aparently there was an huge winged creature theat picked up one of my chicken and droped it over the fence it was like it was in an trance, another one wedged itself between the dog house and the fence. Everyone is fine now and I am working on putting fishing line around the pen. Thats the reason for this post thanks for the help [​IMG]

4. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    12 gauge works as a good deterrent [​IMG] they will eventually figure it out once they get shot at for a week or two.

5. madmantrapper

Apr 15, 2009
    Maryland
    Hawks are protected!!! $10,000.00 fine each.

6. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    I like hawks I think they are cool ,but I love my chickens I just want to scary them [​IMG]

7. madmantrapper

Apr 15, 2009
    Maryland
    Yea the shot scared them to death.

8. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    N.C chicken Owner :

I like hawks I think they are cool ,but I love my chickens I just want to scary them [​IMG]

I didn't say shoot I said shoot at [​IMG]

9. moondog425

moondog425 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    tn
    S.S.S...or....A roo that does his job well will see them in time to warn the girls most of the time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by