1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how would you feed new chicks when they hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickalick, Jun 8, 2011.

1. chickalick

chickalick Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    just wondering what to do with the feed when the eggs hatch do i put it in a bowl throw some on the floor also what about the water do i put that in a bowl thanks

2. floridachickhatcher

floridachickhatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    Quote:i just put the feed and water in feeder and water dispensers the chicks wont eat until the next day or 2 days since the yolk keeps them full for about 3 days

3. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    you can use whatever you want to. I wouldn't put it on the floor of the brooder though, b/c they really don't know how to scratch yet.

I use chick feeders and waterers when they first hatch-- the kind a quart jar screw on. Since it is so hot I add sav a chick in their water to help them along a bit. (it is like chick gatorade)

4. chickalick

May 18, 2011
    Quote:thanks alot

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    These are old picture and the chicks in the first pic are a couple of weeks old. I have a brooder coop and the chicks can go out into the coop. I usually keep them in a cage for the first few days then I open the cage door and they can go in and out of the cage whenever they want.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

6. chickalick

May 18, 2011
    Quote:thanks a lot very helpfull xxxx

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by