How would you fix this problem?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by stone_family3, Feb 29, 2012.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I have three thermometers one at the very top is reading 99, one at the very bottom next to the light bulb is reading 100, one on the tray with the eggs is reading 103? I've been taking the average of all 3 since they vary so differently

Unless by some Christmas miracle all the chicks hatch I'm counting my 6 out of 50 hatch a pretty big fail.

I'm using a vinotemp wine cooler as an incubator. It comfortably fits 2 shelves. I need to make some big changes before the Easter hatch. It has two computer fans, is heated by a 100wt light bulb and keeps temp well, it also keeps a 30ish humidity during days 1-18, however has trouble keeping humidity up. I traded out the egg cartons for styrofoam because I found the paper ones are not good. I use a string to pull the tray they are sitting on up during rotation.

Please help me. I'm so lost.

[​IMG]

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Your hatch was a day early or right on time? I'd believe the 2 thermometers that are reading close. You could calibrate them by comparing to medical thermometer, those are as accurate as you can get so set them all in same spot and you'll know. Most homes with kids have one.

I'm not sure I'd give up on your other eggs just yet It's been 20 hours since the 6 hatched. Did you candle them on day 18?

How did you turn your eggs? I use something to prop side of egg cartoon up, 40ish degree angle, then move it to other side 12 hours later to tilt opposite direction. To get your humidity up for lock down you'd need more surface area of water. Try another wet sponge or shallow pan with large surface area.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  3. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I plan on leaving them in there till tomorrow at least, I candled what I could on day 18, I had some really dark shells and just couldn't tell. I have a bantam egg that is white and was doing fantastically when I did lock down.

the egg cartons are sitting on a board which is on film canisters. I simple pull the string up and the board tilts back. I only have to open the bator to tip it forward.

I'm using two commercial grade food thermometers and a cheapy walmart one with the humdity on it (the clunky one in the picture).

4. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Well made some small adjustments after eggtopsies (none got to lock down).

New temp readings are
    110 right next to the light on the bottom
    100.8 on the shelf based on a food thermometer
    99.2 on the shelf based on the baby thermometer
    97 based on the humidity gauge/thermometer at the top of the incubator

Eggs will be on the shelf, temps have been steady since last night.

Which temp would you use as the actual temp or do an average temp?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by